Sunday, August 26, 2007

We Are Becoming Hermits

Cody and I used to go places all the time. We would often just go for a drive on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon--but that was before gas was nearly $3 per gallon. Even if we didn't go far, we would go out to the lake and walk some of the nature trails out there.

We haven't done that in a long time. Seems we hardly ever leave the house any more. We are becoming hermits. I decided we needed to get out more. So after church, we got some KFC ( I won't even begin to describe that. I think we had the dumbest cashier on the planet. Ah, but I said I would go there...) and went out to the lake to eat. It was very pleasant. Not nearly as hot as it has been lately.

After eating, we walked one of the nature trails. And of course, I had my camera with me. What follows are the best of the pics I took.

This massive tree has got to be between 250 and 300 years old. Oh, the stories it could tell.

I tried to get Cody to stand by this log for perspective, but this was the closest he would get. There was a spider, he said.

The way the light dappled this young tree really caught my eye.

I can never remember if these are beech or birch trees. The bark peels naturally like that. Whatever they are, they are very pretty.


But I do know what these are. These are fire ants. There's a reason we call them that. You don't want to know what it is. Trust me on this.

I'd planned a better post than this, but after we got home, Cody wanted to download a game. Naturally, I'm not going to let him download anything without checking it out.

I spent three hours playing that game. After that, I had to let Cody download it.

What else could I do?

.

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Chicken after church and a trip to the lake sounds very nice. Fire ants I can live without. I made it to Calgary. Maybe I can catch up on my blog reading now.

Buck said...

Nice pics. A walk in the woods is a wonderful thing, and I miss doing that. "Woods" is a foreign concept in this part of the world; trees are few and far in between, quite literally. But...every place has its pluses and minuses.

Mir said...

That walk sounds wonderful.. I haven't had a nice hike in the woods for too long! Thank you for the lovely pictures.. but the ants.. um.. I could have done without seeing all of those ants.. *shudder*

Becky G said...

Lou, I can certainly live without them too! I'm glad you made it to Calgary safely. I'm looking forward to your posts from there.

Buck, I grew up in the Piney Woods of East Texas, and can't imagine living in a place without trees. Still, I agree with what you said. Every place has its own particular beauty. Even Portales. :-)

Supergroup, it was wonderful. It had been far too long for me, too. Ants don't bother me, but fire ants, well, I'd rather watch them from a distance, if you know what I mean!