Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy First Day Of


I'll bet y'all thought I was going to say summer. Well, that, too. But along with the first day of summer, comes the first day of Summer Of Socks 2007. My first official sock project of the summer is as follows:

Do you remember this poor sock?

Yes, it is that same poor sock on two circulars that I started back in January. This is as far as it got. And this is only the first sock of the pair. Well, I finally decided to put the poor thing out of its misery and make a full fledged pair of socks out of the yarn. So I frogged the whole thing. Here is evidence of said frogging:


And I cast on a pair of Jaywalkers. I'll have pictures of it later. Speaking of Jaywalkers, I finally frogged the other pair I had started. I decided I just really didn't like the way the yarn was pooling. I'm going to try that yarn with a different pattern. Maybe Monkey socks. Maybe not. I dunno...

Since Summer of Socks started at 5:00 AM today, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm also posting pictures of socks I already had on the needles. Just so you'll know I'm not trying to slip any previously started socks by anyone...

First up--Bubble Wrap socks I started with the Steinbach Wolle I got Saturday. I love this pattern. It is so easy, yet interesting enough that I don't get bored with them.

Next, the Columbine Peaks socks from Socks Soar on Two Circulars, by Cat Bordhi. The yarn is Meilenweit cotton spirit.


Yukon Leaves socks with Austermann Step yarn.



Big Black Soldier Socks--14 inches of k2 p2 ribbing in black yarn. Whew!


Two at once toe up socks on magic loop. I'm kind of using a combined pattern for these. I found a toe pattern, then when I get to the heel, I'll look for a heel pattern I want to do. This is the Knitpicks bare yarn I dyed with Easter egg dye.


Plain stockinette sock started with sockotta cotton blend yarn. I may frog this one and do a more interesting pattern. I'll, of course, continue to knit on these socks, and will post about them as well. They just won't be official SOS socks. Not that I'd have a snowball's chance in Mississippi of winning the most socks contest. There are some uber fast knitters also in this thing.



Finally, a picture of my sock yarn stash. Most of it anyway. The three 50g balls I have two of each, but I didn't put them both into the picture. I also have another sock worth of yarn, but I didn't realize until after I took the picture that I'd left it out. I'm too lazy right now to go take another picture, so you'll just have to reference this older photo.
It is the brown Jawoll jacquard seen in the middle row.
Knitting





5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I love the summer socks. Your knitting is just pretty awesome to me.

Sus said...

I hope you enjoy the summer of socks. I won't be joining, but do you see that scary thing over on my blog?? You may be hearing a lot from me once I start that little project... ;)

Mauren Mureaux said...

I like that bubble wrap sock, i'm checking out that pattern!

Ok. And i thought i was sock obsessed. I look like a total sock slacker now. Ugh!

Barb said...

very pretty socks you have going, there is a Jaywalker KAL if your interested it's at www.jaywalkerskal.blogspot.com i'm making Jayalkers for my 1st pair too and i'm in the kal as well :)

Becky G said...

Well thank you, Lou.

Sus, I'm here if you need me. If you have a question I don't know the answer to, I know where I can find out.

Suz, I've had a bad case of Startitis lately. I'm hopin SOS will give me the impetus to finish some of these things up.

Barb, thanks for the compliment and the link. I've joined the KAL as well.