Sunday, June 03, 2007

No More Blues!

My yarn blues are over! Behold, two neatly wound, same sized balls of blue yarn.


Once I'd found the other end of the yarn, untangling went so much faster, or so it seemed. Now they are patiently awaiting being cast on. I'm going to try toe-up magic loop--two at once--with this yarn. But I have to free up my ML needle first. Remember this sock? Well, I decided I didn't want another plain vanilla sock, so I found a pattern that called for the gauge and cast on I had done and started it:

This is the Columbine Peaks socks from Socks Soar on Two Circulars book. It was pretty easy to convert it to magic loop.

I cast on my soldier sock, but it had an accident and I had to start over. I'd only done about an inch when I discovered that way back on like the second round, I'd reversed myself and begun knitting the wrong way. It resulted in a large hole accompanied by a lump, and it simply would not be fixed. The only solution was to frog the whole thing. Here is my second try:





Let me tell you something, knitting solid black yarn is quite an adventure! I hope the soldier who gets these socks isn't allergic to cats. Squeaks has made her own generous donation to this project. You might say this yarn is wool/nylon/cat hair blend.

But why? Why do I knit socks for soldiers?


3 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I made a pair of the Columbine Peak socks for my sensei two Christmases ago. It's a nice pattern. Enough lace for interest, but not so much to make it frilly.

Are you using a plain sock pattern for the sfs socks?

Mauren Mureaux said...

Oh no! Sorry about the Soldier Sock glitch. Ugh!

The black yarn is a challenge, but as your photos suggest, it's very worth the effort.

Ah, a little cat hair never hurt anyone....much! ;)

Becky G said...

Cindy, I loke the Columbine Peaks socks as well. It is knitting up really fast. As for the socks for soldiers, there is an official sock pattern on the groups website. They have patterns for all types of knitting preferences--including Magic Loop, I'm sure.

Suz, thanks, but since I'm definitely a process knitter (I seldom keep the things I knit), it didn't bother me that much.