Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Something

You might never know it, but I am really shy about talking to people. A coworker said of me years ago, "You have to watch her. She doesn't say much, but when she does say something, it's really something."

Today was one of those really hot days at work. Most of the plant was 100+ degrees. Sweat was pouring off me by the bucket full. My clothes were soaked with sweat, and I could hardly breathe, because there is no circulation in the plant. The heat just kind of clings to you.

About 1:00 PM, I went to refill my water jug. The ice machine is in the break room, and once in there, I just had to stay a minute. I sat down, and no sooner had my behind hit the seat when who walks in but my shift supervisor.

"Break time is over," he said looking at his watch. To clarify, we don't get breaks at work. We get a lunch break from 11:00 to 11:20, but that's it.

"I'm really hot," I replied. "I need to cool off a minute."

"Oh, it's not that hot out there. Come on back to work," he admonished.

He walked back out, waving his hand at me in a come-on gesture.

My response:

"I'll be there when my drawers dry out!"

*

3 comments:

Bobbisox said...

Good comeback!!! I thought it was illegal to not have breaks??? But I am in California, maybe it is a state rule.

Unknown said...

You tell 'em girl! :-) (I just started laughing when I read that. I understand that heat, and that feeling! :-S )

Becky G said...

He he he....