Thursday, June 21, 2007

Something Has Happened

In karate. Something has happened to me. I don't know what. It's a good thing, but I don't know how it happened.

Suddenly, my punches have power I didn't know I had. Suddenly, my kicks have become devastating. I don't know what happened, but I hope I can keep it up!

Sensei still intends to try to get the new dojo next month. When he does, he is going to start a tai chi class. I told him I wanted to get in on that one. He said that if I get good enough, I can teach it! I also mentioned to him that I would like to start a women/girls only class once a week. I'm thinking this may be a good way to get more females into our dojo. They may feel less intimidated if it's only females in the class. Of course, the understanding is that once they've been in class a month or so, they will also need to begin attending the regular class for their age and rank.

Sensei is getting together a women's self defense seminar. I don't know when he is going to do it, but I asked him if I be his demonstrator, can I come for free. He said he wouldn't have charged me anyway.

I was telling my friend at work about my new puppy, and how I'd gotten it. I told her that they'd come from the pound and Megan was trying to find homes for them before they were euthanized, and my co-worker just snapped at me, "Why did they get them from the pound??? They shouldn't have done that because somebody dumped a dog out by my house the other day!" Huh? I was a bit confused by that. They shouldn't find these puppies homes because someone dumped a dog somewhere else? What has that got to do with anything? I didn't see how the two events were connected. Anyway, she went on to tell me that if I decided to keep the puppy, I'd have to pay vet bills and they are high. I would need to find out its personality, and uh, oh, it's a female, you'll have to get her spayed, etc, etc, like she thought I didn't know anything about keeping a dog. I finally interrupted her and told her that I wasn't going into this blind. I've had dogs since I was 15. I know what's involved in keeping one.

The flood waters have receded, but evidence of flooding is everywhere. Lots of people had flood damage to their homes, but I didn't.

Cody is leaving to go on the church youth trip to Delaware tomorrow.

The puppy still doesn't have a name. And my car needs a brake job.

That's about it.

Isn't that enough?
*
*

6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

People are funny about dogs - either they understand or they don't. What struck me about your conversation was that the puppy was female and therefore would need to be spayed. It really irritates me when people have the attitude that they don't need to neuter a male - it's the female's problem. These are the most irresponsible people! My new dane puppy is also female. Maybe someday I would like to breed her (maybe not), but until I make that decision, I will have to guard her against roaming romeo dogs. There is one that comes around quite often. He is also bad about taking my spayed female cow-dog on road trips and getting her into trouble. I may have to take him to the Humane Society, to force someone to take responsibility for him. Technically he is a stray, but my neighbor feeds him and seems to like him. Toby would say, "you know they make a special shot for that."

Sus said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you've found yourself in "the zone"! That's awesome!

As for the dog thing, I think some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining or telling others how to do things or how to think. Or, ::shudder::, all three at once. Lordy, how those people leave me cold!! Sorry you had to listen to that crap.

Have a great day!

Buck said...

I'm with Sus...what IS it with people who (a) assume YOU know nothing and (b) in the next breath, have to let you know that THEY know frickin' everything? Aiiieeee!

Mauren Mureaux said...

Hey, way to go on fine tuning your powerful skills. That snippy anit-dog person better not mess with you, heh!

Becky G said...

Lou, I totally agree with you. It is just as important to get male dogs neutered, even more so because a male can make many more puppies in his life than a female dog. I guess people think that if they are not the ones having to deal with the unwanted puppies, then they just won't worry about it. That doesn't make it right, but that's how they think.

Sus, you are right about that co-worker. She is always complaining about something. I'm the one who usually has to listen to it, too.

Buck, that is sooo one of my biggest pet peeves.

Suz, she's not really anti dog. She has two of her own. She just likes to complain. If she doesn't have anything to complain about, she will make something up, I swanee. (Old time Southerners weren't allowed to swear, so they swaneed instead.)

frotoe said...

Hey thats pretty cool about your fierceness! Its weird how it seems to happen overnight, isn't it? I guess thats what all that practice leads to.
And regarding your dog know-it-all....I can't stand people like that. It seems like all they want is to hear the sound of their own voice saying know-it-all things.