Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tuesday

All day long it has felt like a Wednesday to me. I almost forgot to go to karate.

We had a visitor in class tonight. He was visiting a class to decide if he wanted to join. You know what that means. That means sensei worked the bajeebers out of us. We went through the basics, then some basic drills, then we took a water break. I pointed out to sensei that he'd worked us so hard that even my glasses were sweating. After break, we came back onto the floor and did kata--up through wansu. (I did the rest of my kata after class.) I led the class through kata while sensei was working with the two white belts. After that, we did some simple self defense drills and then some bag work. It was a good, hard workout. If we did that every class, I'd be in great shape, and might even lose a bit of weight.

A quick bit of good news--my soldier sock leg only has to be 12.5 inches, not the 14 I'd originally thought.

They call these day lilies, supposedly because each bloom only lasts one day. They open as the sun comes up, and die as the sun sets. I caught this one just as it was beginning to wilt.


The puppy finally has a name: Rylea--pronounced like Riley. It seems to fit, but until it is written onto her vet record, it still isn't set in stone.

Puppies

4 comments:

Mauren Mureaux said...

Even after the name is on the Vet's card, it can still be changed. ;)

We learned that when we originally named out cat "Kali" thinking she was a Hindu Goddess of Earth...well, she's a Goddess of Death & Destruction. We could not have a cat named that. LOL!! So, she was changed to Luna as she came to us at night when the moon was out. It's been a much better fit.

Bag Blog said...

I knew someone who bought a horse named Luna. They thought the name had something to do with the moon. Turns out it was short for lunatic.

Rylea seems like a good name - funny how some names fit and others do not. I took Zoe, the Great Dane, in for puppy shots yesterday. She is getting huge.

Sus said...

Glad you had a great workout! Maybe you could organize an elaborate plot to always have a "prospective student" at class. ;)

Thanks for the pretty photo -- I love lilies and I miss the daylilies of my old hometown. And I miss the old local surgeon who was once spotted in cut-off jeans and cowboy boots, cutting down a huge ditch full of daylilies... with a chainsaw. Ah, characters.

Becky G said...

I had a cat once who could have been named Kali, except he was a he. When he killed mice, he ate them. Even worse was when he only ate part of them.

Lou, I was driving down the road with my cousin one time several years ago when I looked over and saw a black and white spotted pony in someone's yard. "Oh, look, a pony," I thought. But no, it was a Great Dane.

Sus, that was a great story! I just love old character stories. Thanks for sharing.