Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Good News and Better News

You know how you wake up some days and think, "boy I really don't want to go to work today?" (Not you Buck.) Well, today I was thinking just that. I got up and got ready, but when I got to the plant, the security guard was turning everybody back. "No work today," he said. "No production."

Yesterday during the flooding, the water had gotten into the air compressor. That's why they sent us home early. Apparently, the compressor is still messed up. Most of our machines run of pneumatic pressure, so they can't run them until the compressor is fixed. SOOOO, I got a free day off.

Cody is leaving Friday to go on the youth trip with the church. We went into town this afternoon to buy him a new swimsuit, since he's outgrown his old one. On the way, we ran into Joshua (from the dojo) and his girlfriend Megan with a couple of boxes full of puppies, and some kittens. Megan said they were from the animal shelter, and were scheduled to be killed tomorrow, so she was trying to find homes for them.

How could I resist?

She is tiny. They don't know her exact age, but the vet is guessing about 6 to 7 weeks. So counting backwards, I'm going to appoint May 5 as her birthday. We've no notion of her breeding. Megan said she thought they had some kind of hound in them. She's got good sized feet, but not too huge, so I'm guessing she'll end up being about as big as Katie is.

I asked Megan if they'd had their shots yet, and she said no, so we went straight to the vet before going home. The last two puppies I've brought home had died of parvo, and I want this one to have the best chance she can. I told Dr. A how we'd gotten her--a lady in the Wal-mart parking lot, I said--and he replied, "My guess is that would be Megan." Yep. He said that she used to work for them, and she is a good kid. He also said that she is going to veterinary school, and she will do well if she can keep from taking all the animals home with her. Yep, that's Megan all right!

Katie checked out the new puppy, and has declared her part of the family. She's shown no sign of jealousy, but then Katie should be used to this by now. She's outlasted three (now four) puppies, and about 5 kittens.


She doesn't have a name yet, but I'm open to suggestions.

Puppies

7 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

What a cutie!

I offer the name I intend to give my first female dog (which I'm unlikely to ever have, due to Rob's strong preference for male dogs), Mirabile (Meer-AH-bih-lay), or Mira. It's Latin for "Wonderful!", also the title of a favorite book.

One of my Dad's colleagues is a research vet who sounds a lot like Megan. When we went to visit her house she had 4 dogs, six horses, a dozen or so sheep and goats and three chinchillas. This was way down from her high of about twenty dogs plus assorted other animals. She had accepted nearly a shelter-full of refugee animals from Katrina and kept every last one until either its owner could be found, or she found a permanent home. She's a fabulous vet, and I'm sure Megan will be too.

Plus - yeah for days off!

Mauren Mureaux said...

Oh, puppy cuteness! She's adorable.

"Obi" would be a cute dog name. ;)

Bag Blog said...

Ah, a woman after my own heart or a sucker for a cute face! My new puppy was born around the last of March and she is now huge and getting bigger.

My vet lives way out in the country and has such an assortment of animals that she has taken in that we call her place the Zoo. I know from experience that whenever I have an animal emergency, my vet will be there. I like a vet who really likes animals.

Buck said...

Ah, puppies. I miss my dogs, but not enough to commit to a new one. Because, in the end, it IS a committment, just as raising kids is a big committment. Can't go there...at the moment.

TSMP was in the rescuing lost and abandoned dogs biz when we lived on a bigger peice of ground (read that: two acres) in OKC. I think her personal high was six or maybe eight dogs. The highest number of resident canines we ever had was four. Those were fun days...

Sus said...

So adorable!! Of course, due to Megan's work and your generosity, "Lucky" applies. Congrats on the addition to your family!

frotoe said...

oh she is adorable!! and yay for your day off.

Becky G said...

Thank you everyone. She is such a sweetie. Thanks for all the name suggestions, too. Eventually, I'll find one that fits.