Wednesday, June 06, 2007

It Takes More Than Money

I was minding my own business, doing my work as usual, when Susan came running up to me and said, "Have I got something to tell you! You know that guy that you think is weird? He's single!" She then proceeded to tell me that he was back in the stockroom telling those folks that he is building himself a $350,000 house and he needed a good woman to put in it. My first question was how does he have the money to build a $350K house working where we work. Susan told me that his momma had died in a nursing home and he'd sued and gotten a bunch of money that way. But that's just what she heard...

We talked some more about the situation, with Susan telling me I ought to go after this guy. So I'm wondering why, if he's such a wonderful guy with money to boot, he's still single at his age--mid to late 40's I'm guessing. I'm trying to get her to tell me what qualifications of a good husband he has, besides being single and allegedly having money. The best she could come up with was, "Well, he seems nice."

Maybe he is nice, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's just about half a bubble off plumb.

Now, let me clarify. I don't think the guy is mental or something. He's not frightening, nor has he shown any of the signs of a potential abusive spouse. He's just odd. He reminds me of Forrest Gump. That kind of odd. He is silly all the time. And I do mean all the time. Susan reinforced the Forrest Gump image by telling me that he isn't all that smart, but he's nice. She also pointed out that he's not that bad looking. Her emphasis, not mine. But she's right. He's not hideously ugly, but then again, he doesn't exactly make one's heart go pitter-pat, either.

Mary heard the same story that Susan did, and she came running over to tell me that this guy was looking for a wife, and she had immediately thought of me. I pointed out to her the same things I'd pointed out to Susan--that I thought the guy (I don't even know his name because he's fairly new) was a few sheep short of a shawl. The fact that he supposedly has all that money but drives a forklift in a factory lends credence to my idea that he's not all there.

Well, Mary agreed that the guy does seem kind of not quite right, but she said, "Maybe he isn't really that way. Maybe he just acts that way." Is it just me, or is acting weird when you're not weird also weird? I pointed out to Mary that since I would be the one having to live with him, I don't want to live with someone who acts like a nut all the time. Mary gave me an exasperated huff, and said, "You're still so strict!" We've had this conversation before, Mary and I...

She's right, though. I am strict. I want a good man. I'm not going to go off with the first man who walks by just because he's there. That's something some women can't seem to understand. That's why they hook up with losers and end up believing all men are like that. That's why they're so disillusioned.

There are good men out there. They're worth waiting for.

At least I think so.

*

7 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

Bang on. There are plenty of worse fates than being single - and being married to the wrong man, or even just a not-right one, is one of them. Money makes up for remarkably little when you're talking husbands.

Though I knew a guy who was very rich yet worked a succession of very low-skill jobs. I think it was mostly to stave off boredom. He wasn't imginative enough to fill his hours if he wasn't working. He also was looking for a good woman to put in his house (though a $150,000 house, not $350,000) He ended up with a Phillipino mail-order bride, and was bewildered and hurt when she left him within a year. He didn't get that a wife means more than having a housekeeper and mistress rolled into one.

Mauren Mureaux said...

"Half a bubble off plumb"... roflmao!!

No, you're right...acting weird if you're not weird, is just weird!

I'd much rather have a great conversationalist than someone with loads of cash. Life would be so boring if you couldn't have a decent conversation with someone other than mysef. ;)

Sus said...

I don't get these women, either. Although reading about what they seem to think is "awesome husband material" really puts some perspective on the fact that so many people think you're married. You don't desperately throw yourself at losers just because they're single and have a job (what more would you want??), you must already be married. Sheesh, no single woman, simgle mother to boot, would be happy, content, and not be on the manhunt 24/7. You're obviously the weirdo here.

;)

Buck said...

Don't settle...don't ever settle, Becky. You're absolutely correct: it's worth the wait.

Unknown said...

Yeah, there are good ones out there, but they are far and few between. You'll find one eventually. Don't settle for less. This will sound funny, but look for a cute geek who isn't weird. That's what I ended up marrying. He was smart and interesting, had a good sense of humor, and because he's a computer geek, no less, I didn't have to worry about him being out late carousing with the boys! :-P Yeah, I got a pretty good one, so keep your eyes peeled!

Becky G said...

Thanks for the reaffirmation everyone. Yes, I will wait for as long as it takes. And while I am waiting, I will continue to improve myself so that I can be the kind of woman who will make a man proud to have her by his side.

And that's not that easy...

Bobbisox said...

Becky, RIGHT ON!!! I was 35 when I got married to my hubby and he was 30; it was only a few months after our first date and we both had been engaged for years to other folks (me, 5 times to one guy,my best friend; I don't learn fast) and it truely was the BEST decision we have ever made. I had him join the Navy a year later as he loves to fish and dive and travel, and the ships are floating hotels and he gets to do all that instead of hitting bars around the world. He credits me all the time to his students (teaching BEARINGS) and they respect us for our decisions to not get married to the first ones who float by and wait til the actually right one come by. Never settle; my motto used to be, "my way, or no way" and it seemd to work for me.