Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Little Bit of This...

These people I work with just crack me up sometimes. We are having another unpaid plant shutdown day tomorrow. When they announced it, everyone was griping and fussing.

"I just can't make it on 4 days. What am I going to do? How am I going to pay my bills?"

Yet, when Johnny went around after lunch asking for volunteers to work tomorrow, do you know how many people said they'd work? Three. Yes, three. Count 'em: three. Out of the thirty some-odd people in my department, only three volunteered to work. Yes, I am one of the three. I mean, it's not like I can sleep in anyway, since I have to get Cody up for school, so I might as well go in and work--for however long they let us stay.

One lady told me she didn't volunteer because Johnny couldn't guarantee that she'd get 8 full hours. "I don't want 4 hours. I want 8 hours," she said. Yeah, I want 8 hours, too but 4 hours is better than 0 hours. She is choosing no pay rather than partial pay, because in her mind it's full pay or nothing. She is cutting off her nose to spite her face. She is one of the ones who complain the loudest about not having enough money, too.


Onwards...

I finished my hat and scarf this afternoon, except for weaving in my ends on the scarf.




The scarf turned out just the right length, too. I doubt I keep these, though. They will most likely end up in the gift drawer. Getting a head start on Christmas knitting...

Best of all, I can scratch another entry off of my WIP list:


1. Prayer Shawl
2. Irish Hiking Scarf
3. Wavy Lace Shawl
4. Red Heart Strata Scarf
5. Branching Out Lace Scarf
6. Texas Longhorn Scarf
7. First Time Socks
8. Monthly dishcloths KAL--two per month
9. Socks knitted from the yarn I got for Christmas (two pair)
10. One slot left open for a screaming stash project


Slowly but surely, I'm getting it done. However, #8 doesn't really count, since it is an ongoing thing, and won't really end. I'm even thinking of removing it from the list all together and replacing it with another screaming stash project. For those of you wondering what a screaming stash project is, it is when you find a pattern or some yarn in your stash that just screams out "KNIT ME!" I don't have any that are screaming yet, but I do have some yarn that is beginning to get rather vocal...


While we are on the subject, it is time to begin another




I'm guessing this one will have something to do with hearts. Red or pink yarn required, February, Valentine's Day...Not hard to put those clues together.


And lest I forget, the

This is a tomato flower, drawn from a reference photo. Flowers are generally pretty easy to draw, and I enjoy doing them.

Heading for bed, now. I have a book by my bedside that is screaming, "READ ME!!!" I'm happy to oblige.
*
*

2 comments:

Sus said...

Aren't people funny? Most of them probably only want to complain. I'll never understand why some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something. Oh well, I'm sure I do my share. Good sketch today! I don't draw, myself, but I imagine it's more fun to draw pretty things. Oh, and I have a gift drawer, too! It was completely depleted but it's got just a little in it now -- for some reason that makes me inordinately happy. :)

Becky G said...

Thank you Sus. I don't necessarily think that drawing pretty things is MORE fun. Some not so pretty things make fascinating and challenging subjects--like my foot. It's not pretty, but it is definitely a challenge to draw. The knack is being able to find the artistic beauty in the most ordinary objects--like the clutter of ink pens and knitting needles on my computer desk. It's not pretty, but there is a certain composition to it...

Well, I didn't mean to give you an art lecture, but my mind works like that. I'm always seeing the artistic composition of everything. I was born like that and couldn't change it even if I wanted to.