Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thursday (For Want of A Better Title)

Some years ago, I participated in a knitting related e-mail group. Yarn snobs ran rampant on that list, which I no longer participate in. Anyhow, one time, during a yarn snob's anti acrylic rant, I just happened to mention that it doesn't get cold enough here to make wool items comfortable. If it isn't cold enough, I said, wool gets very coarse and scratchy. One person very haughtily informed me that I didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. She wore wool socks in 100' weather and they kept her feet perfectly cool and retained every bit of their softness. Wool is a natural insulator and will insulate heat out as well as in, keeping your feet nice and comfortably cool. I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on that one.

Today I wore my hand knit wool socks. I'd wanted to wear them yesterday on our road trip, but they were thicker than my normal socks, making my shoes just a bit too tight. Since my work shoes are rather large on me--to allow for when my feet swell up in the summer heat--I decided to wear them to work. As I was putting them on, I thought, "I may regret this later, but I'm going to wear them anyway."

Regret it I did. By two hours into the workday, I was counting the minutes until I could get out of there and get my feet cooled off. Those socks were so coarse and scratchy feeling, I had to go to the bathroom a couple of times and pull my shoes off just so my feet could cool off a bit. If you've ever worked with fiberglass insulation, you can sympathize. I felt like I'd knitted those socks with that stuff. With a reinforcement of sandpaper.

I don't see how anyone can wear wool in 100' weather.

In other knitting knews, I'm going to have to take a hiatus from working on my WIP list. I've got two more prayer shawls to knit. The lady who cuts our hair lost her father last night. Since I know her mother quite well also, I feel I need to make one for both of them. I'll knit both of them from stash, though. Tammy's will be from the variegated yarn I posted the other day, and Edna's will be blue.




My work station. A brazing jig and parts tray. Boring, but I liked the composition.

*

*

4 comments:

Laritza said...

Before you do anything with your allergies take the kitty to the groomer for a good bath. Usually allergies are to the dandruff and not to the hair. That might take care of the problem.

Buck said...

I don't see how anyone can wear wool in 100' weather.

I'm not a yarn snob (can't be, coz I don't knit), but I will say that all my suits were 100% wool, back in the day when I had to wear such attire to work. And I wore them in 100 degree heat. And survived. Hell, thrived, even!

It wasn't the wool suits that were uncomfortable, it was that danged tie...

:-)

Mathieu said...

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on that one."

me too. total BS. must be a wool-seller.

I have to admit to using that line while trying to sell clothes. Ha, shame on me.

Becky G said...

laritza, what causes cat allergies is not dandruff but dander, which is not the same thing. Dander contains a protein manufactured in the cat's skin, which is what allergic people react to. Bathing the cat will not remove these proteins, and it certainly won't stop the cat from producing these proteins. None of the research I've done has suggested that bathing a cat will be even remotely effective in combating cat allergies. Since dander is constantly produced, the cat would have to be constantly bathed. That would be too hard on any cat.

Buck, you're a better man than I am, Gunda Din! I've often wondered about the sanity of those whose preparation for the day involves tying a noose around their necks. Still and all, I bet you looked good.

Mat, shame on you indeed! Me, I've always preferred all cotton clothes. Now, that is a cool and comfortable fabric. Just don't get it wet. Wet cotton gets cold, whereas wet wool stays warm.