Sunday, February 04, 2007

Lesson For Today

Don't try to knit lace while watching the Super Bowl. Trust me on this one...
Super Bowl Yes, much of today was spent in anticipation of and watching the Super Bowl, Cody being a big Indy fan. Even our pastor, who knows Archie Manning personally, moved the evening preaching service up to 4:00 PM so he could get home in time to watch it. In fact, being that Mr. Manning is native Mississippian, and he and Eli both attended Ole Miss, most folks around here are Colts fans.

We made some snacks and went over to B and J's for the game. J is a Chicago fan, and got really excited when Devin Hester of the Bears ran back the opening kickoff for a touchdown, and again as Grossman and Muhammed connected to give Chicago a 14-6 lead in the first quarter. However, since Chicago would never be in front again, his enthusiasm waned and he got downright ugly at times. Between his attitude and the heat in their home, I needed to get out of there. Since B is much more cold natured that I am, they had their heater set to "roast" and about halftime I began to swell up. I stood it as long as I could, then came home early in the third quarter and watched the rest of the game in the comfort of my own home.
This is when I tried to knit the lace. Not such a good idea. I finally just ripped it back to my lifeline and set it aside for the evening. Then I sat with idle hands and watched the Colts win their first Super Bowl title since Johnny Unitas was quarterback. It was 1971, and the Colts were still in Baltimore, and they defeated the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl IV. Since I am a lifelong Cowboys fan, we don't talk too much about that one.

Super Bowl

The Pro Bowl is next Saturday, which is usually pretty boring since nothing is at stake. Then we count the days until next season.

Knitting
The dishcloth is coming right along, and the pattern is showing just what I predicted. I finally delivered the prayer shawl for my friend who's mother passed right before Christmas. I got it all ready to take, then walked right out of the house without it. I initially thought I'd wait until next week, but by the time I got to the end of my road, I felt really strongly that I should go back and get it. I did, and when I got to the church, I discovered that my friend's Sunday School class had placed flowers in the sanctuary in memory of my friend's mother. It all just seemed to fit.
My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Milady the Right Reverend Becky the Decent of Praze-an-Beeble
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title


*

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Because my computer is so slow, I am going to comment on your weekend posts all at once. We enjoyed the Super Bowl, too. I thought it was a pretty good game.

Doesn't it make you feel good when you follow those "urgings" and things work well as with the prayer shawl?

I understand the singing thing. My kids have given me the "give it up" speech too. The sad thing, is they have the same singing ability that I do. My grandfather and his son, were really great singers. I guess the singing gene did not pass to the women in the family.

The socks look warm and snuggly!

Buck said...

I was rooting for Chicago, not because I'm a big fan -- I'm not. No dog in the fight at all, actually, since (as you well know) I don't usually watch football on Sundays. I thought Prince was the best part of the 'Bowl.

--Bishop Lord Norman the Introspective of Waldenshire under Throcket