Saturday, February 03, 2007

Singing Saturday



I can't sing. I've always enjoyed singing, but God in his wisdom did not see fit to bless me with talent in that area. But still, I'll sing around the house, and sometimes at work. I figure everyone at work has earplugs in anyway, so they're safe.

Not long ago, Cody told me to stop trying. I was quite taken aback, because he'd always been the one to encourage and support me.

"That's when I thought you were just pretending you couldn't sing."

Moving right along...

I've got one more thing to cross off my WIP list:
Yes, they are fraternal, but after having to frog most of the first sock due to running out of yarn, I didn't dare try to match the stripes. It's a good thing, too, or I wouldn't have had enough yarn to finish.
So, after removing the monthly dishcloths from my WIP list, and making a separate entry for each pair of socks, my revised list looks like this:
1. Prayer Shawl
2. Irish Hiking Scarf
3. Wavy Lace Shawl
4. Red Heart Strata Scarf
5. Branching Out Lace Scarf
6. Texas Longhorn Scarf
7. First Time Socks
8. Socks using Magic Loop
9. Socks on DPNs using Knit Picks yarn
10. Socks made from Red Heart Strata (I lost the ball band and forgot the name of the color.)

Notice that I did cast on another pair of socks in the #10 space. The yarn got so vocal that I couldn't tune it out any more.

I also did a crazy thing. I felted my wool socks. I did it on purpose because I wanted to see what they would turn out like. Besides, socks that are hand wash only aren't very practical for everyday use--at least not in my mind. But didn't they turn out cute?

Here is one next to a sock that still fits my foot, to show perspective.

They fuzzed and pilled quite a bit, but they already had a good start at that just from being used. I'm thinking about ordering one of those sweater stones that is supposed to remove pilling from knitted items.

And here are today's dishcloth rows:

It's been cold all day today. A perfect day to stay inside and knit, only I didn't do that...I decided it was time to flush and refill my radiator. I'd asked J to help me--which means he does the work and I stand there feeling useless. And cold. And guilty that I'm not helping more. But he had his oldest grandson Steve out there helping, so there really wasn't much I could do. I just feel like it's my vehicle, I need to be doing the work.

The way they make these engines these days, you almost have to take them back to the dealership to get even a simple thing like a radiator flush and fill done. I think they make them that way on purpose, so you have to keep paying them money. J had to take the whole engine apart just to get to the drain plug. Ok, well not really. It just seemed that way. I told him that if I'd known it would be so much trouble, I'd have just taken it into a shop. But we got it done, and now my Jimmy has a happy radiator.

That and three loads of laundry was the extent of my productivity today.

*

*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The felted socks look cozy. I'm trying to knit something..it takes me forever because I only just started re-learning how to knit. I keep messing up and ripping the whole thing apart. but I'm getting better. I wish I could be faster, though. I guess that will come with practice. I'm just a little impatient, I think.
(by the way- my comments are fixed on the new blog-thanks for letting me know about that!)