Sunday, August 31, 2008

I Finished It!!!

The lace shawl is finished! Well, except for weaving in the ends and blocking it.


I'll weave in the ends later today, but I'll need to wait until I can gain access to a canine-free spot big enough to block it. I'd planned on using one of my cousin's spare rooms, but she's got a house full of evacuees right now. I felt almost a bit of sadness as I bound off the last stitch and cut the yarn. This shawl has been a part of my life for so long, now that I'm floundering just a bit without having it to work on. Not to worry, though. I'll find something. Maybe those socks that have been plaguing my existence for the last few weeks...

In case you haven't seen it, this one's been making the rounds the last couple of weeks.


I thought it was funny when I first saw it, but now, not so much. It just seems kind of silly. I guess I've got more important things on my mind right now.

Hello Gustav.

The storm inches ever closer. People have already begun evacuating. Several churches in the area have opened shelters, including ours. If the storm continues on its projected path, we won't get too much of it here. However, it appears to be headed in the direction of my hometown in Texas.


It has weakened a bit, but the weather wise say that once it hits that warm waters of the Gulf, it could strengthen again. Even so, it is still a dangerous storm and not one to be trifled with. People seemed to have learned the lesson of Katrina. They're not taking this one lightly.

In church this morning, a young man sang an absolutely beautiful song. I don't know if he planned it this way, but it turned to be incredibly appropriate for these times. The last line is especially moving:

The anchor holds in spite of the storm.

Indeed, it does.

.

9 comments:

Knit and fall back in it said...

That shawl is beautiful already and it's not even blocked yet. You rock!

There's no telling what creek I would be up, had it not been for that anchor.

Carol said...

Becky your shawl is lovely, I don't know if I will ever be able to make one.

I hope Gustav won't do too much damage!

Robin said...

Your shawl is beautiful!!

Love the cartoon...

Hang on, hope Gustav treats you softly.

Buck said...

I hadn't seen the Phelps cartoon before; I lead SUCH a sheltered life! (and I liked it)

I don't know squat about knitting but I like the looks of your shawl, Becky. Well done!

Becky G said...

Amy, thank you and me too!

Carol, sure you can. It's just knits and purls, with a few yarn overs and decreases thrown in.

Robin, thank you.

Buck, I know you do! I hope I didn't offend your delicate sensibilities. ;)

And thank you, too.

mornin'lady said...

Becky, the shawl is gorgeous!

Becky G said...

Thank you Dawn.

Opal said...

Oh it turned out beautifully! Well done! I hope you show us some photos of it once it's been blocked.

Becky G said...

Opal, thank you! I certainly will post post-blocking pictures. I'm still looking for that canine-free space, though.