Thursday, August 21, 2008

Still Watching

Olympics, though most of the sports I really like are completed now, so my interest is beginning to wane.

I watched Shawn Johnson finally get her gold on the balance beam. Nastia Luikin won the silver and the same Chinese girl who landed on her knees in the vault bobbled and wobbled her way through her routine, but still somehow ended up with the bronze.

(LLUIS GENE/AFP/Getty Images)

Now, Nastia Liukin is very beautiful and graceful, but I've always favored Shawn. I think it may be because she favors one of my cousins so much. Or maybe it's her attitude. She is always smiling, and even though she was getting discouraged, she still focused on the experiences of being in the Olympics and just enjoying being there. You go girl! You deserve it.

On the men's side, Jonathan Horton surprise everyone by winning a silver on the high bar. I'm not so sure he didn't deserve the gold, though, and the crowd seemed to agree with me. They booed his scored when they came up. I'll tell you one thing, it was the best high bar routine I can remember seeing, ever.

(LLUIS GENE/AFP/Getty Images)

Then last night, Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh won their second consecutive gold medal in beach volleyball, but I didn't stay up and watch them. I saw the first half of the first set, but so confident was I of their abilities that I went to bed and let them play without me.

Them men's team of Dalhauser and Rogers plays tonight, but I am also confident of their abilities, so they will play without me, too.

In other news, the IOC is finally ordering an investigation into the age of at least one of the Chinese gymnasts.

And finally, lace shawl progress will be counted down until I finish it. As of today, 142 rounds have been completed. I've got 11 more to go!

Woo Hoo!

5 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

Yes, Rogers and Dahlhauser took gold in a third-set tiebreak.

I've been staying up way too late to watch the indoor volleyball. I'm really liking the American men's setter, Lloyd Ball. Intense, focused, passionate, just an all-round fabulous player. Plus pretty good-looking and old enough that I don't feel like a dirty old woman saying that!

Bag Blog said...

I watched the men's beach v-ball last night. It was great.

Buck said...

Yeah... I was up to all hours this morning watching, too. But like Becky, I feel the best stuff is behind us.

Opal said...

i stayed up to watch the women's v-ball. it was exciting!

Becky G said...

Cindy, I know what you mean about the dirty old woman thing...*ahem* David Boudia* cough, cough...

Lou, I wish I could have seen it, too.

Buck, there is still men's platform diving and water polo. Other than that, my favorite events are completed.

Opal, I wanted to, but getting up at 5:15 precluded that!