Saturday, August 02, 2008

Saturday Safari

But first, I have to show you this:

I finished one spindle of the Fuzzy Lettuce roving. Finally. I've got another one to spin before I can ply them.

Onward...

I didn't want to just sit around the house all day, so Cody and I went to Burger King to pick up some burgers to take to the lake for a picnic. After them putting mayonnaise on my hamburger not once but twice, I asked for my money back, and we came back home. But then, after I'd cooled off a bit, I decided I wasn't going to let an incompetent employee and a rude and argumentative manager ruin my day and we went to the lake anyway.

Our first stop was the visitor's center, which has kind of a mini-museum inside. We saw nature dioramas

Civil War relics

and this cute little beaver at the touch table.

Upon leaving there, we headed out to the old Civil War redoubt.

This is the restored one. There is another one nearby that has gone wild again. We didn't go to that one today. You can hardly tell it's there because trees have grown up inside it. It just looks like a high spot in the woods. Except for the sign, of course.

This fort protected one of the main roads of the time.

a remnant of which has also been restored and maintained.

This whole area is maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Speaking of signs, may I present your humorous sign of the day:

Cody didn't see what was so funny about it, but I thought it was hilarious.

Cody wanted to model his Kilroy look:

And I'd be remiss if I didn't post your Saturday Sky:

As we got into the car to head home I saw that the temperature was 101. I told Cody, "I would pick the hottest day of the year to decide to go on a picnic." So we came home to our nice air conditioned house and ate ice cream. And felt a lot better.

I've posted more pictures on the Summer Photo Project Blog. I started to post them all here, but resisted for the sake of those of you still on dial up. But please do go have a look.

6 comments:

Inquiries said...

Great pictures Becky.

Cody has beautiful eyes!

Becky G said...

Thanks, Ashley. He got those eyes from me! ;)

Buck said...

Looks like a great day out, except for the heat (of course).

The humor in the sign is lost on me, as well. I guess I'm humor-impaired. ;-)

Sus said...

I think the sign is funny. But it begs the question -- where are you *supposed* to throw your fish parts?

And, yeah, Cody's got some killer eyes. The girls better watch out!! ;)

Becky G said...

Buck, it may not be that you're humor impaired. It may be that I have a rather twisted sense of humor. Warped, some may say.

Sus, I'm glad you think so! I was beginning to worry. I suppose you are supposed to throw your fish parts back into the lake or take them home with you.

Thanks on the eyes.

mornin'lady said...

Beck I do so enjoy your photo shots, your doing really well with that camera. Looks like the day was swell regardless of the heat too!