Thursday, August 14, 2008

Because I Am An Idiot

You get to see shawl progress.

So why am I an idiot? Well, it was late last night, and I was watching men's gymnastics on the TV. I had decided to go to bed--just as soon as I finish this pattern repeat, I says to myself.

But almost done, I experienced the most horrifying thing a lace knitter can go through. I dropped a stitch.

I stared at my knitting. I turned my needles this way. I turned them that way. I stared blankly, trying to figure out how in the world I could pick up that dropped stitch, which by then had run all the way back to my lifeline.

Through the fatigue induced fog clouding my sleep deprived brain, I sat numbly, unable to make this thing work. Finally, in frustration, I ripped the whole thing back to my lifeline. Four rounds. Now, that may not sound like much to you, but I'm at the point in which each round of knitting has almost 800 stitches. Do the math. I'm too tired.

This morning, I did the (you knew it was coming) inevitable forehead smack. I realized that I didn't have to rip the entire shawl back to the lifeline. I could have just ripped that one pattern repeat back and reknit it.

I am such an idiot!

While it was ripped back, I thought it would be a good time to spread it out and take a progress picture.

Now, I just have to re knit those 3000 some odd stitches and go on with it.

I blame George Bush. Ok, I know he doesn't have anything to do with my knitting, but blaming him for things he is not responsible for seems to be the "in" thing. Since I'm not the kind of person to follow the "in" crowd, I un-blame Bush.

I blame Michael Phelps.

6 comments:

Sus said...

It's okay, you still totally rock -- the shawl is GORGEOUS!!!!

And feel free to blame me for all knitting-related stumbles. I'm happy to be of help. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that shawl is ripped back? Looks finished to me.

Yeah, the blame Bush thing is so tired; [no jinx]it's time for Michael to get knocked back down to cold hard reality.[/no jinx] 8-)

Knit and fall back in it said...

Ugh, sorry about the unfortunate frogging. 3000 stitches? That makes my hands hurt just thinking about it. I would have been tempted to throw the whole thing out in the road in a fit of rage. Hmmmm....could that be why I don't have a lot of lace shawls?

Knit and fall back in it said...

And you're not an idiot, that shawl is amazing.

Opal said...

Oh poor Michael! Instead of completely ripping back, you might want to check out this article on how to repair a dropped stitch. I hope it will prove helpful in the future!

Becky G said...

Sus, thanks, but I could never blame you! My long lost twin could never do such a thing as mess up my knitting!

Patch, I still have 23 rounds to go, plus a border before it is finished. It may be time for that, but it didn't happen tonight.

Amy, throwing a project into the road, or fireplace or floor and stomping on it is quite a common occurrence among lace knitters. One has to be marginally insane to even attempt it.

OH, and thank you!

Opal, thanks for the link. I know (now) that I could have fixed the lace without frogging it all. I would have known then had I not been in such a state of sleep deprivation. Said state of sleep deprivation was brought on by staying up late to watch Michael Phelps race in the Olympics, thus it is all his fault. But I forgive him...