Saturday, August 30, 2008

Football Saturday!

Football season is finally here! Though some games were played as early as Thursday, the majority of teams had their first games today.

In their 2008 season opener, LSU would face Appalachain State. Yes, the same Appalachian State that upset powerhouse Michigan in the season opener last year. And there were worries about the quarterback. Who would replace expected starter Ryan Perrilloux, who had been kicked off the team last May due to multiple rule infractions? Who was this Andrew Hatch? Would he be able to lead the team? And who was Jarrett Lee? A redshirt freshman who would be given a chance to play, but was he any good?


(Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

By half time, all our worries would be put to rest. There would be no surprise upset this time. LSU, playing in front of a half empty stadium, handily dispatched Appalachian State 41-13 at Death Valley. The stadium--the same stadium in which the fans once caused seismic readings--was eerily quiet as spectators, knowing this game was well in hand, left to prepare for a much more dangerous opponent:


Hurricane Gustav, which was upgraded to a Category 4 hurricane Saturday. He is only expected to grow stronger as he makes his way through the Gulf, possibly becoming a Category 5 before making landfall sometime Tuesday morning.

My other team U of Texas also won 52-10.

(Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)

I was surprised, in a good way, to see Colt McCoy still playing. For some reason, I'd thought he had graduated last year.

(Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)

The bad news is, none of the local stations carried either of my games. Imagine my disgust when, on the first day of the season, I was flipping channels desperately looking for a game and all I saw was infomercials. Infomercials!!! What kind of retarded TV station is going to broadcast infomercials when there is football to be watched!

I was able to watch LSU on my computer on ESPN360.com, but I didn't see the Texas game at all.

I did, however, get all the knitting part done on my shawl. I was working on the border, when I stupidly decided to go put flea stuff on the cat. Here's how that turned out:

I now have a mosaic of bandaids on my hand, but I'm going to try to see if I can still work on the shawl. I need to get it done, so I can work on other projects that have been shunted off to the side due to the lure of lace.

I almost left my Saturday Sky shot too late:

But I got it in, just in time.

4 comments:

mornin'lady said...

Finally! Getting caught up on my reading and I see you are doing well besides a few nasty cat scratches :)
I really enjoyed reading your Olympics posts, and maybe I'll finally learn something about football now.
I was noticing with the family photo's you posted that one can really tell you and your brother are related and
I'd take a cute nephew like that any day :)

Knit and fall back in it said...

That darned cat!! I hope he is ashamed of himself for scratching you like that.

Are you in the path of Gustav? I

Buck said...

Ouch! Now... since I'm short on understanding here... would you tell me yet again what's to like about cats? ;-)

My Saturday: on the couch ALL day in the initial throes of football delirium. Oh, but it was GOOD!

Becky G said...

Thanks, Dawn. Yep, if you hang around here, you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about football!

Amy, she seemed very contrite this morning, so I won't shoot her just yet. ;)

At the moment, I am not in the path of Gustav. Unless he takes a sharp turn to the North, he will miss me.

Buck, I have to keep reminding myself of that sometimes, too!

Stupid local stations, don't know a ball game from an infomercial! They didn't even show Ol' Miss or State! Now, that was weird.