Thursday, August 14, 2008

Men's Gymnastics

I love watching gymnastics, both men's and women's. I wanted to do gymnastics as a child, but my mother said I wasn't worth spending all that money on. Still, it's one of my favorite Olympic events.

I watched part of the men's competition last night. But since NBC insists on showing this stuff "LIVE", it went on into the wee smalls. Since I have to wake up in the wee smalls, I went to bed after only two rotations.

As expected Yang Wei from China won the gold. The U.S. didn't have a strong contender for the all around, but the two men competing did a respectable job, finishing 9th and 12th.

I know, especially for boys, that participating in gymnastics isn't always considered cool. Gymnastics is considered to be a sissy event. Boys are often teased, bullied, and ridiculed for competing. They are considered wimps and wusses.

For those who say that, I challenge you. Try this:

Or better yet, this:

Kai Wen Tan of Team USA.

Doesn't look like such a sissy sport now, does it?

7 comments:

Robin said...

Makes my shoulders throb!!! I'm the sissy!!!

Lynn said...

ITA!!!! I've been watching as well and it's been SO good! I've really enjoyed the swimming and the synchronized diving. SO good.

And yes, I don't know why gymnastics is considered a sissy sport here. My son wanted to do it, but the local gymnastics place didn't have a boys class because only 2 signed up. Why is it only soccer and karate is the *correct* sport for young boys??

Perpetual Beginner said...

Given the reputation of gymnastics among younger boys, it's a good thing that the men's teams draw from the college population.

I've always loved gymnastics. My Dad was a college gymnast, and pretty good (9th in the country on trampoline, back when tramp was still on the apparatus list), so we would watch together with him providing the expert commentary.

I will say that I have NEVER seen the kinds of falls the men's competition had at an international competition before. Bobbles, yes. Sit-downs, yes. Even falls from the horse. But two major falls (one from rings and one from high bar) in one competition - and not just pop-offs, but serious this-man-could-break-something tumbles, just isn't something you see often at that level.

Anonymous said...

Male gymnasts have upper arm and torso muscles, and for that matter leg muscles too, that could crack walnuts. Or the skulls of haters.

Buck said...

Gymnastics got a lot of respect back in my day, for the reasons you've pictured. NO one in my high schools made fun of those guys... they'd kick your a$$ if you did.

Opal said...

I'm totally with you. Those boys are buff! I'm totally impressed with their strength and control.

Becky G said...

Robin, you and me both. My wimpy little girl arms can't even imagine!

Lynn, thanks for stopping by the blog. I don't know why gymnastics is considered a sissy sport. Actually, when I was growing up, soccer was considered a sissy sport, too. Real boys played football or baseball.

Cindy, I didn't get to see all of the men's competition. I have noticed, though, that in recent years falls have become more common than they were 20 or 30 years ago. I wonder if that's because they are trying so much harder stuff nowadays.

Patch, yes, they do!

Buck, from what I've noticed, most of the teasing occurs during the pre-pubescent years. Once boys go through puberty, the testosterone kicks in, and the muscles begin to pack on, it becomes much more respectable.

Opal, I totally agree! To say they are buff doesn't even begin to describe them!