Saturday, August 09, 2008

Olympic Saturday

It was an absolutely beautiful day today. Not just the sky, but the temperatures as well. The highs were only in the mid 80s, and a North breeze blew all day.

Later on in the day, the sky clouded over completely, and storms are expected tonight and tomorrow. The unseasonably cool temperatures (for which I blame Global Warming) are expected to continue for the rest of the week.

But I didn't get outside and enjoy the day. Why? The Olympics are on! Most of what I watched were prelims and heats, but I did get to see the rebroadcast of the women's fencing final. The U.S. swept women's fencing. I also watched bicycling, volleyball, rowing and some swimming. Now, I don't usually watch a lot of these sports, but hey, this is THE OLYMPICS!!! Go Team USA!

Tonight they will show men's gymnastics and live swimming finals. Go Michael! I'm a bit disappointed in the gymnastics. Both Hamm brothers have withdrawn. Paul dropped out a couple of weeks ago due to a broken hand, and Morgan withdrew yesterday due to an ankle injury. Without those two, the men's gymnastics team will have a tough row to hoe.

And what did I knit while watching all these Olympics?

My fallen leaves socks. I got all the way to the heel flap before submitting to the siren call of my lace shawl.

Remember my cookie disaster of last week? Well, I bought some butter and tried again. This time, they came out perfect. Just perfect.

I'm going to go founder myself now. If you hear the faint sounds of someone groaning in misery, that'll be me.

3 comments:

Buck said...

It HAS been a great teevee day, hasn't it? I've been simply mesmerized by the unfolding spectacle in Beijing... and these are just "early days!"

Knit and fall back in it said...

Those cookies look delicious. We are supposed to have thunderstorms tonight and for the next couple of days. I know I did a lot of complaining this spring about all of the rain, but I am glad to sse it now. Anything that will cause a break in this heat is welcome around here!

Becky G said...

Buck, yes it has! And to think, it'll only get better...

Amy, thank you. I agree about the heat!