Thursday, December 17, 2015

I Could Cry

In fact, I did -- just a little bit.

I got home from work after a very long, very hard 10 1/2 hour shift.  I was hot, sweaty, itchy, and looking forward to taking a shower.  I turned on my water and just a trickle came out.  Something told me to go check my water meter, so I did.  It was so full of mud and water that I had to dig for 10 minutes just to find the shut off valve.  The meter was just a spinning. 

I called the water office and asked them "How do I tell if the leak is on your side of the meter or mine?"  She said, "If the meter is spinning, it's on your side."  Oh boy.

I called the plumber, the same one I'd used before, but he was out fixing someone's sewer line.  His wife said he'd call me when he could, but I haven't heard from him yet.  I called James and asked him to try to get ahold of him tomorrow, because I won't be able to hear my phone ring if he calls while I'm at work.

Sigh...that's just another expense I can't really afford.  But my neighbor Mr Clark told me that when they put this street on the municipal water system they used the cheapest materials they could find.  He'd already had to replace all of his pipes, and I guess it's my turn.

The good news is:  1) Even though it'll cost me a pretty penny, I know that when Daniel is done, those pipes will be there from now on, 2)  this is happening now, and not after Beverly and James move back to Texas, so at least I have somewhere to take a shower without having to rent a hotel room,  3) We are getting a decent sized incentive bonus this year, plus we are about hit peak season, which means overtime, and more overtime, and 4) I've finished my Christmas shopping, so that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Speaking of overtime, I have to be at work at 5 in the morning, so I'm about to cut you loose and go crawl into bed.  You know something?  I just realized that tomorrow will be my last day of work THIS YEAR!  Yeah, I had a vacation day scheduled, but I moved it.  About halfway through the day, I began to regret that decision...

Speaking of regrets...whoever said it was impossible to kill a Peace Lily vastly underestimated my ability to commit planticide.  Yes, this is the Peace Lily from my uncle's funeral last year.  I've heard they do well under fluorescent lighting, so this is my last desperate attempt to keep it alive.  I put it under this CF lamp a couple of days ago, and it's already looking better.



I hope that's not just wishful thinking.  I've already killed the begonia.  Sigh....again...


No comments: