Saturday, March 31, 2007

Saturday Sky


Early morning Saturday Sky, taken about 7:30, before it clouded over and started raining. And as a bonus, since I can't seem to think of anything interesting to blog about lately, a Saturday Sunset picture.

Taken after the rain. Actually, during the last few sprinkles of rain. If you look closely, you can see drops on the lens.

Yeah, blogging has been slow lately. I dunno what the problem is. I just can't think of anything that might be interesting to anyone. Y'all don't really want to hear about me doing laundry then watching House on DVD all afternoon, do you?

Buck had a couple of interesting things to say this morning--especially the part where he talks about being terminally busy. We are programmed by society to believe that we always have to be doing something--that we have to accomplish things every day. We are made to feel guilty when we are resting, for rest is unproductive. I kind of long for the old days when things like knitting were considered admirable work rather than just a hobby. There were days in our past when if a woman didn't knit, her family went without socks or gloves. Nowadays, knitting is considered a leisure activity. A waste of time. Never mind the fact that hand knit socks are better quality and will long outlast anything bought in the store. Never mind the fact that my hand knit washcloths last far longer than store bought cloths. Never mind the fact that a hand knit sweater can last a lifetime. No, you should be up doing something useful, not just sitting there knitting.

Now, if you were sitting there idly watching T.V., well, that would be OK...

TV 2

8 comments:

Lizzie Woolley said...

I love the picture of the sunset. Very pretty.

Lizzie Woolley said...

I like to focus my blog on karate because it's good to just write about one subject. When I read and look at other people's blogs, I like when they focus it on one theme. I save all the other things for my private blog even though I don't write in it much.

Becky G said...

Lizzie, if that is the way you want to write your blog, that is ok. But it is not my idea of blogging. I feel that if I limit my blog to one topic, I limit my blog audience to those who are interested in reading about that one topic. In that case, I would lose most of my faithful readers. Those who do not participate in martial arts aren't really interested in reading a blog solely about karate.

Secondly, if I limit my blog to one topic--say karate--then if I wanted to post something else, like my son's band concert, I would have to start another blog for that. And another blog for knitting news, and yet another for sketches. That means I would have multiple blogs to maintain, each with its own limited audience. It's hard enough for me to maintain one blog, much less four or five.

Thirdly, I'm a firm believer that if you are going to blog, blog. If I limit my blog to one topic, what do I do if I don't have anything to say on that particular topic? Do I just skip that day? Do I only post when I have something interesting to say about that one single topic? I'd be posting very infrequently. What is the point of that? Those who only blog once every month or so quickly lose their audience. I know personally that if someone only blogs infrequently, I quickly lose interest in reading his blog.

It's my preference, but I'd rather have an eclectic daily blog than a topic specific blog that only posts 3 or 4 times a year.

Buck said...

I agree with Lizzie... beautiful sunset! Yet another example of the truth in that ol' song: "The Best Things in Life Are Free!"

Agreed also on your approach to blogging, too, although not every single-topic blogger posts infrequently. I read a hockey blog called Kukla's Korner and their output is simply amazing, i.e., 13 posts already today and it's only 1030 (MDT). But then again, it's a group blog...slightly different. Like you, I find it difficult to post every day. Some days I have something to say and other days not so much. I've yet to figure out the "hows and whys" of my muse...

Thanks for the link!!

Buck said...

I just noticed a week's worth of posts have gone missing! Wha' happened?

Buck said...

Well, now. This is strange, indeed. This morning all your band posts and such had disappeared. This afternoon they're back. Is it Blogger, I wonder?

Becky G said...

Buck, I am on a group blog that is solely about knitting from stash. Someone on there usually posts each day, but it is a lot easier to get frequent posts when there are 50-something people contributing. My own contributions to the blog average about once a month. If I were the only person posting, it would be dull indeed.

I don't know why you can't see all the posts. I have checked and they are all there.

Bag Blog said...

I like the sunset pic also. As to blogging, you know me - whatever comes into my mind is okay to blog. My son has a blog that is about sports - Zzzzzz.