Saturday, March 10, 2007

Socks and Skies

There are three main methods of knitting socks. One uses double pointed needles, one uses two circular needles, and one uses the magic loop technique on one long circular needle. When I first started knitting socks, I wanted to try all three methods to see which one I liked best.

I've decided in very short order that I really do prefer dpns. My evidence to support that claim:


This is the most recent sock I started on dpns. Compare it to the picture below:


The two circulars sock is on the far left. I started that one in January. The magic loop sock is in the middle. I started it around the first of February. The dpn sock is on the far right. I started it yesterday. All other variables are the same. The yarn is all the same weight, and the needles are the same size. Given the choice of the three, I'll pick up the dpn socks first. I'll likely still use the magic loop to knit socks I carry along with me--like to the dojo or the doctors office, etc. That way I won't have to worry about losing a needle. I won't likely use the two circular method again. I might even transfer that sock to dpns when I finish the current pair.

Anyone want a book on knitting socks on two circulars?

Several months ago, I was doing my grocery shopping and I saw that Cody had written Clean Safe on my shopping list. I had no idea what it was. I looked all over the cleaning supplies aisle and couldn't find anything called Clean Safe. When I got home, I asked Cody what it was. He had no idea.

"You wrote it on the list," I said.

"I did?" he replied.

I never did find out what it was, until this morning. I was sitting at my computer and looked over and saw this.

So that's what Clean Safe was!
*
*
*
*

Mystery solved!


Today's sky was overcast most of the day, but the predicted rain never happened.


3 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I've found that sock needle preference is highly individual. So far of the regular sock-knitters I know (3 including you), our preferences would line up as follows. Me: 1)Magic loop, 2) 2 circs 3)dpns
You: 1)Dpns 2) magic loop 3) 2 circs
Ledasmom 1) dpns 2) 2 circs 3) magic loop

So far nobody likes 2 circs best, I note, though I'm hanging on to my book, since it does have some nice patterns, as well as pretty good explanations for several techniques. It was a great book to use for a first sock because the explanations were so clear.

Pooch said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!! The wine cellar pic was taken in Montepulciano, Italy at an active winery and restaurant. Such a relaxing atmosphere!!

Your socks look wonderful! Back to the dpns!

:)

Becky G said...

Cindy, I agree with you that needle choice is personal preference. To each his own...Of the knitting blogs I read, it seems that dpns are the most popular. I'm sure someone must like the 2 circs method, because the book still sells.

Pooch, thank you. Strange to think that I waited this long to start knitting socks. I thought they'd be too hard.