Friday, March 09, 2007

An Unusual Visitor

The neighbors down the way love dogs. They have about 10 of them. People tend to dump dogs out here where we live, and the McPhails take them in. They can't help it, they say. They love dogs so much they can't stand to send them to the pound.

Their newest dog is an Alaskan Malamute/timber wolf hybrid who was given to them by Mr. McPhail's sister. I don't know how old he is, but he is absolutely gorgeous. He is huge, probably weighing in at well over 100 lbs. He looks like a wolf, but has the personality of a dog. He's just as friendly as can be.

He has taken an inexplicable shine to B's dog Artex. He follows Artex home almost every night. I finally got to meet him when he followed Cody right on into our house! He showed no sign of aggression, but I still watched him very carefully. He seemed very well mannered, even sitting on my command. (There's an old saying around these parts. "Whenever you start thinking of yourself as a person of some importance, try bossing someone else's dog around.") It took me three tries to get us into the house with him outside. He kept trying to follow us back inside. During our little dance, I grabbed the camera and managed to snap a few pictures. These are the best ones. He wouldn't stay. He kept coming to me. I finally had to get Cody to hold him so I could get these pics.


As a child, I'd always dreamed of having a pet wolf. Now I have a half wolf buddy.




Still sketching fruit. Still out of fresh, new ideas...
*
*

No comments: