Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Squirkles



To do the texture on this orange, I used a technique Brenda Hoddinott calls squirkling. I'm pleased with the result as far as the appearance of texture, but let me tell you, that's a lot of graphite to try to lay down in the 10 minutes or so I had left of my lunch break. As a result, the transitioning of my shading isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. And my highlight ended up in the wrong place. Overall, though, I'm pleased with this one, considering.

Sensei was on vacation today, spring break you know, so I had to teach the adult class. It wasn't much to it because only 2 others besides Cody and me showed up. We had an open workout in which we critiqued each other's kata.

Last week, when we first found out sensei would be out, Blake begged me to come in and help with the kids class. I didn't, though. Last summer, sensei offered James and me teaching positions in his after school program. Paid teaching positions. Those positions never materialized, but now suddenly Blake is a paid teacher in the after school program. So I figure, if Blake is getting paid to teach the kids, then Blake can teach them.
*
*

No comments: