Sunday, March 18, 2007

Actual Animals

Le-Le the male giant panda. The Memphis Zoo is one of only four zoos in the Unites States to have giant pandas. The female, Ya-Ya was artificially inseminated early this year, and shows every sign of pregnancy. The trouble with pandas, though, is that they can have a very convincing false pregnancy. The zookeepers won't know if she's actually pregnant until the baby is born. Keep your fingers crossed.

The polar bear, picking up pieces of fish from the bottom of his pool. Some guy on Oprah a few weeks ago was saying that global warming is hurting polar bears because it is melting the Arctic ice. Polar bears are having to swim farther and farther to find ice, and since polar bears don't like to swim, this is bad news. I personally don't think that guy knows what he is talking about. In the several times I have visited these bears, I have only once seen them out of the water. This guy, the whole time I was watching, never left the water for a moment. If they don't like to swim, why do they voluntarily spend so much time in the water?


Introducing Anna Kate, the baby reticulated giraffe who was born last November. Isn't she a cutie?


I don't know if these two adult giraffes are her parents or not, but they were the only other ones out.
Tiger cubs

I finally get a good picture of the cheetah.


and the Kookaburra.


And a couple of brief video clips of the polar bear swimming:










6 comments:

Sus said...

Egads, I'm such a sucker for baby animals. Lil' giraffe!! Too cute! And tiger cubs! My voice just went up two octaves babbling at their pictures!! :)

Bag Blog said...

Those are some great pictures. It has been a while since I have been to a zoo (other than my own home). Your pics made me want to visit one soon.

Anonymous said...

It's not that they don't like to swim, it's that the distance they are forced to swim to find food (around the ice) is getting much greater and they don't always have the endurance. If 15 miles is a normal distance, now they might have to go 60 or more. They get too exhausted to handle rough weather and drown.

(hi, by the way, I found your blog through another karate blog a little while ago.)

Becky G said...

Maybe so, but that's not what the guy on Oprah said. He distinctly said they don't like to swim.

Welcome to the blog.

Anonymous said...

That is what I meant...the guy on Oprah was a bit off the mark. :)

Becky G said...

Ok, I get what you are saying now. He may have meant that also, but he just didn't express it that way.

Which blog did you find mine through? I read a few karate blogs myself.