Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Happy Spring and Alan Alda



Happy Spring. I am amused at reading some people's blogs. While they are frantically searching for the first signs of spring, I'm rushing out to get the last of the spring flowers before they die back. I almost waited too late.

Something had been eating at me for a while. I said something that I really shouldn't have, and now it's bugging me. Several months ago, I said that I thought Alan Alda was ugly.

As someone who has been called ugly, both behind my back and to my face, I know how it can hurt. Truth is, I don't really think the man is all that physically unattractive. I don't find him all that attractive, either, but that doesn't mean he is ugly. He's just a little too baby faced for my taste.

What I did when I said that was to get Mr. Alda confused with his character--Hawkeye Pierce. The character of Hawkeye can be hugely funny at times, but for the most part, I found him to be arrogant, opinionated, and tremendously disrespectful to women and anyone who disagreed with him about anything.

The day I posted that first post, we had gotten a couple of series of M*A*S*H on DVD for Christmas, and I had just spent several hours listening to Hawkeye's blame America first anti-war ranting. You know the "This entire war is all America's fault and if we would just pack up and go home, the North Koreans would cease their aggression against South Korea, retreat back behind the 38th parallel, and restore to South Korea its territory and independence and everything would be all hunky dory" kind of thing. Hmmm, sounds vaguely familiar, doesn't it? It was his character's attitude, rather than his physical appearance that made him appear ugly to me. So I offer my apologies to Mr. Alda and everyone who read that post.

But what do I find attractive in a man? Well, that is a whole nother post.

No sketch today. I found a newspaper and read it at lunch instead. Remember yesterday when I said Johnny Lindley was on a tear? Today his tear had escalated to a full scale rampage. I'm even tireder than I was yesterday, and am not even going to attempt my dishcloth rows. I need something more mindless and relaxing--like a sock or scarf.
Sleeping





3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Okay, what do you find attractive in a man? That topic should keep us busy for a while.

Buck said...

Hey! Ugly is as ugly does...yanno? I've met any number of beautiful women who just didn't do a thing for me, and 96% of the time it was their attitude that turned me off. So I know what you're sayin', Becky.

Still and even, it's a grand gesture on your part to (a) apologize (even when none is needed) and (b) explain yourself.

Well done!

Becky G said...

Lou, I'm working on that answer...

Buck, thank you. I did feel it was necessary, though. For me to have peace about this issue, if not for any other reason.