Thursday, October 26, 2023

What Day Is It?

First up, a bit of good news. After I posted yesterday, I finally heard back from the firewood guy. He’s going to deliver my wood Monday, just in time for the cold front that's supposed to come through, so keep your fingers crossed that he actually shows up.

By the way, what day is today?  Having half of this week off has completely thrown off my internal schedule.  Some part of my brain knows today is Thursday, but keep thinking it's a Saturday.  I've spent the day freaking out that my extra long weekend is almost over -- but it really isn't.  I've still got three days left.  

I'd said yesterday that I was going to go walk the new trail at Lee Tartt Nature Preserve today, but that didn't quite happen.  The reason being is that I finished cutting down my roses from off of my fence.  


The next step will be to cut down all that lattice stuff and get rid of it.  

Then I'll be one step closer to getting them replaced -- them referring to my fences.  As you can see, the current fence is pretty raggedy.  

That corner post is leaning so badly, I wonder how it hasn't fallen over.   Even so, it'll be a lot easier to keep that fence line clean now that the roses aren't blocking everything.  I am kind of sad to see them go, but they weren't healthy any more anyway.  

While I was cutting, I found two bird nests.  One was almost completely disintegrated, but one was still in pretty good shape. 

It looks so much better now -- the fence, I mean -- but once I'd finished, I was so hot and sweaty, all I wanted to do was come inside and take a shower, and once I'd showered, I wasn't going to get back out and go walking and get sweaty again.  Thus, the trip to the new trail will have to wait until another day. 

So, what did I do with the rest of my day?  Well, I sat there thinking, "I really need to get up and start cleaning out my closet," because I'd planned on cleaning out my closet this week, but I didn't.  I watched TV and knit.  I finished one hat, 

then cast on another one. 

I know, I know.  I said I was going to work on the socks next, but the tags for the Seaman's Church come 9 to a page, and I only have three more hats to make up a full set of tags.   Once that's done, I'll box those up and ship them, then finish the socks.  

I'm kind of torn on that, though.  I think I've figured out why I keep wearing holes in the toes of my socks.  It's because I've got steel toed boots.  They don't have the give that soft leather does, so my toes have been rubbing against that steel cap all this time.  Unfortunately, starting in January, steel toed boots will be a mandatory safety requirement at work, so is there any point hand knitting socks if the toes just wear out after a few wearings?  

I think not.  Cheap, storeboughten socks are good enough for that.  

No comments: