Saturday, October 07, 2023

Is That You, Fall?

At long last, look who finally decided to show up.  

Yep, I woke up to an absolutely glorious fall day -- just perfect for football and knitting. 


And that's just what I did.  Here is the proof:


Except that it looks exactly like the last five hats I knit.  I bought a lot of that yarn when it was on clearance!  I've knit so many of these, but I still have enough yarn to do maybe 15 or 16 more.  Good thing they're so popular.  

Anyway, it was cool enough I was able to open the French doors and all the windows, and leave them open all day.  Getting fresh air into the house was so nice, but I think the open windows confused the cat.  Even though the door was wide open, she kept jumping up onto the window sills and meowing because she couldn't get inside. Silly girl. 

Oh, and I had a couple of visitors in my back yard, and because the door was already open, I was able to sneak up and get a pretty good photo of them. 


I also got out there and cleaned the trough and squirrel feeder.  You know, it's a week into squirrel season and I haven't even tried to hunt.  I guess because it's been so warm, I haven't really been in the squirrel hunting mood.  Not that I ever kill any...but still.  Maybe once it gets a little colder I'll go hunt some. 

Speaking of, it's supposed to get down into the 40s tonight.  I already got the gumbo thawed out.  I just need to cook some rice to put into it, and I'm all ready.  

The only other thing I did was to cut back my pineapple sage, the parts that don't have blooms on them, that is.  


I left all the stems that had blooms and buds on them for the bees and butterflies.  By the way, I know it's a perennial and will come back next year, but I'd read somewhere that letting them bloom could affect the flavor when you use it as an herb.   From everything I've read, it's a hardy plant, so it may not die back after first frost, and I can keep cutting it all winter long.  I guess we'll see. 

I also cut my lemon balm and rosemary, then I ground up and bottled the mint I'd cut a few weeks ago.  I really need to start labeling the stuff when I hang it, because I couldn't remember which was the sweet mint and which was the peppermint.  I'd bought some of those tags with the string on them years ago to tag knitted gifts with, and I thought they'd be great to hang on the herbs when I dry them.  Except that I can't find them.  I know they're around here somewhere, but where is anyone's guess.   

I'll find them eventually.  Probably five minutes after I buy new ones.

No comments: