Friday, November 07, 2008

Friday Night Football

I didn't really want to go to the game, but Cody insisted.

"Mom! It's the last one!"

So I went. And froze. The football team lost--as usual, but they did manage to score two touchdowns, so that's an improvement over their normal performance.

I videoed the band, and will post it, but not tonight. It's late, and I'm tired.

Just one more thing...

before the game, when they raised the flag, and the band played our national anthem, I was moved almost to tears--as I usually am--by such a feeling of patriotism and pride in this country that I love--that I usually feel when hearing that triumphant tune that is The Star Spangled Banner. But then I remembered that our new president-elect has stated that he would like to change our national anthem to I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing--and was moved almost to tears, but this time in despair. I felt sick to my stomach and wondered

What have we done to ourselves?

May God in his mercy lead us through these times, but above all, may he lead us to himself. --Deitrich Bonhoeffer

No comments: