Monday, November 03, 2008

Decor

I love decorating, though I'm not very good at it. Note, I am not good at interior design. In my old house, the majority of my decorating consisted of sticking stuff on nails that were already in the wall.

When I got this house, my inability to design a pleasing interior, coupled with my reluctance to mar my walls has resulted in most of my walls remaining deplorably bare.

Still, when the holidays start rolling around, it's a different story. I'm still not very creative with it, but I do enjoy putting out my decorations. So let me take a moment to delight you--or bore you, depending on your point of view--with my Thanksgiving decor.

This little table belonged to my grandmother, my father's mother. It is an antique, though probably not worth anything. And yes, that is Katie's butt in the background.

This is what I have on top of my stereo. The pumpkin is my fake jack-o-lantern that I turned around. He does double duty like this every year.


This is, well I don't really know what it is. It's just fallish stuff.


Ok, enough of that. I've made some progress on my Varanasi sock. This picture shows the pattern, though I'm already past the heel turn and to the gussets.

And finally, another charity scarf completed.


I have a co-worker. His name is Terry. He's a big guy, and kinda scary looking, but he is the sweetest man you'd ever want to meet. Every morning he greets me with a smile, and a wish for a good day. Except on Mondays. He always asks how my weekend was, and knowing I like football, he asks if my teams won. Once I get started, I usually end up rambling on and on, giving him far more information than he really wanted to know. But, you know, no matter how much I yammer, he listens. I mean, he really listens. Not the polite smile while thinking, "I wish she'd shut up" listening, but really he really listens.

I've only known one other man who listened like that. I knew him when I was in the Navy. His name was Bill. You could be telling him the most mundane or outlandish stuff, and he would listen as if you were telling him the most important thing in the world. I guess he thought if it was important enough to you that you wanted to tell him about it, it was important enough to him for him to listen to.

The world needs a few more Bills and Terrys.

.

5 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

We do need a few more Bills and Terrys. People who really, truly listen are rare and precious.

That sock is turning out lovely, BTW.

Sus said...

I like your fall/Thanksgiving decorations! I think they're very festive. I like your grandmother's table quite a lot, as well.

The sock looks great -- pretty pattern and I love the yarn!

I strive to be more like Bill and Terry, but I fear I'm not very good at it. I'm forever multi-tasking (or I have some sort of ADD) and can barely keep to any one thing at a time... I'll keep trying, though.

Slop -n- Goulash: Dinner of Champions! said...

I agree - love the fall decorations (I LOVE LOVE LOVE fall!) and your grandma's table is great. I just love having things of my relatives/ancestors who are long gone. I have my grandma & grandpas' Currier & Ives dishes (yes, the blue & white ones from the A&P) but not because they are worth good money - because it is so rewarding for me to touch them and think they used to be used by my Dad when he was younger and myself when we'd go over there as a kid too. Ah, history!

Becky G said...

Thanks, Ladies.

Knit and fall back in it said...

I like your fall decorations. And the Bills and Terrys of the world should never be taken for granted.