Thursday, September 21, 2006

Rank Test

It was my first time testing kyu ranks as a black belt in class tonight. It really wasn't all that much different from when I tested them as a brown belt, though. Being the highest ranking student means I helped sensei out a lot, even before I got my black belt. James and I tested all the students on their history and tradition, terminology, and vocabulary. We also tested them on their self defense. That's pretty much what we'd done as brown belts, but...

we also got to critique kata and test sanchin. We'd never done that part before. I discovered one thing--it is as much of a learning process to test sanchin as it is to perform sanchin. I only tested one green belt who was testing for purple, so I didn't have to do any hard testing. It's probably a good thing too, or I might have hurt him.

Proud mom moment--Cody tested for his brown belt. I think he did really well, and I'm his second worse critic besides himself. He actually studied for this one, including reviewing his history and tradition, and practicing his kata. In fact, I reviewed him so much on his H & T at home that I didn't really have to test him on it at the dojo. I knew he knew it.

Sensei was going to start having black belt meetings every Friday, but we've postponed that until next week. Due to a death in his family, sensei's been out of town all week. He drove back from Indiana or Illinois ( I can't remember which--it's wherever his dad lives) today and hadn't even been home before going to the dojo. The kids had a rank test also, and I helped them with their sparring and self defense.

And I haven't moved a thing today...

No comments: