Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Cody's Disappointment

Some of you may remember, we had rank tests in karate last week. Yesterday sensei promoted those who tested. I thought Cody was going to cry when sensei promoted him to yan-san kyu. That is brown with a white stripe. He thought he would be testing for full brown, and if he had put any heart and effort at all into his basics and kata, he probably would have gotten it. He just can't seem to understand that he can't just slop his way through basics and kata and expect to do well. I guess he thinks sensei doesn't look, but he does. He sees the huffing and sighing, the eye rolling and muttering, and most of all, the laziness and sloppiness. I don't dispute this promotion at all. I talked to sensei years ago and told him that I wanted Cody to learn that he's got to work for what he gets. The only thing I didn't agree with was he gave Cody a Needs Improvement on his history and tradition. I tested Cody on that, and he knew everything I asked.

I worked for several hours in the old house packing up stuff, but it seems like I hardly made any progress at all. It's getting frustrating because I pack and pack, and it hardly seems like I make a dent in my pile of junk.

I've got snakes that need feeding...Gotta go thaw mice.

2 comments:

Lizzie Woolley said...

You don't feed them live mice?

Becky G said...

Nope. I buy frozen mice in bulk. It's cheaper that way, especially considering I don't have time or gas money to drive an hour and a half to the nearest pet store, who wouldn't sell me live mice anyway if they knew I was feeding them to a snake. It's also safer for the snake. Live mice can bite back, and severely injure or even kill a snake. That's not a risk I'm willing to take.