Wednesday, September 06, 2006

More Disappointments

When I talked to the mobile home place yesterday, they said they were going to hire a new crew to bring out my house today. I thought to myself, 'I hope they get people who know what they're doing.'

They didn't.

J and I had staked where we wanted the back corner of the house, and had measured out where the electrical conduit was to be placed from there. As you can see by this picture, the back corner of the house is no where near the stake we had placed.


Maybe I could have lived with that, but they missed the electrical hookup by 4 to 5 feet! There's no way I can hook up my electricity like that.


You can see from this side view how far off they were. You can also see where they left my steps.
J said he'd called them and told them to send someone out to jack up the trailer a bit so he could move that conduit back under the house. Then we'd get a couple of 90' couplings and snake the wire over to where it needed to be.

I said, "No, they're going to move it to where I want it or they're going to move it off my land and give me my money back. "

So I called the owner and he tried to tell me that he'd put the front corners of my house right were he had put those stakes when he came out Saturday (he didn't). I told him that maybe he should have used a tape measure instead of just pacing it off. Then he told me that the back corner was right where the stake J had put down was (it wasn't). I told him it wasn't and he said, "well we had to pull up the stake to put the house in." I replied, "I know that, but I also know where I'd put the stake in the first place, and the back corner of my house was nowhere near that." Then he started talking to me like I was a real idiot and didn't know what I was talking about (men--especially automobile mechanics--often try that with women), so I just handed the phone to J and he lit into him.

The owner told J that the house was going to stay where they'd put it, and he told them they had two choices. They could move it to where it was supposed to be or they could move it off his land and I would buy a home from someone who is reputable. He got really helpful then. He said he'd move it, but it'd be next week before they could get to it. J told him, "You'd better be here bright and early Monday morning." About 30 minutes later, the salesman called back and said they were hiring an extra crew and would be here to move it tomorrow. They'd better be because I'm calling in sick this time to make sure they get it right.

That's another point...the owner tried to play it off like the whole thing was my fault for not being there. But (1) I had told him last week that I wouldn't be able to be there and he said it was OK and (2) if they had showed up when they said they would, somebody would have been here. B and J waited around for them until after 11 yesterday, but they never showed. Not a phone call...nothing.

After getting off the phone, I went back out and measured with a tape measure and replaced the stake where it was in the beginning. Refer back to the first photo... Stakes aside, they were supposed to put the house where the electrical conduit was to run. Refer to the second and third photo. What were they thinking? Any idiot ought to be able to see that it wouldn't work like that.

I'll tell you one thing, I'll never do business with them again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't mention it before because I was hoping you would have better luck, but we had a terrible time with the company and crew that delivered our Solitare home. Then a few years later some friends of ours also bought a Solitare and had a bad time with the delivery crew. Pretty much, both times the crew dropped the home off without placing it where it was suppose to be and then vamoosed. Our home just stayed where it was, but our friends had to hire a bulldozer and wench truck to move their home. Hang in there.

I remember asking the man who was digging our spetic lines if he could dig a whole for me to bury the gas man after I killed him. The gas man had set the propane tank right outside the back door. I told him he had to move it, but he refused. So, I did like you. I told him he could move it to where I wanted it or take it home and I would find another company who would do what I needed. He moved the tank.

Becky G said...

Well, whatever we said worked because the foreman of the new setup crew said we got the owner hopping. He told them to do whatever it took to make me happy. They're here right now moving the trailer. I'll post more when they're done.

Buck said...

Wow, it sounds like you were successful at getting what you need, Becky. I hope it all works out...

It's a crying shame that people in the customer service biz just can't seem to get it right the first time. It's actually cheaper in the long run to do it right the first time. And a good customer service experience pays HUGE dividends in word-of-mouth referrals, just as a lousy experience takes business away. You'd think bid'ness people would learn, wouldn't you?

Becky G said...

You are so right. My friend is also looking to buy a new mobile home. She has been following my experiences very closely. I think after I tell her this, she won't be buying her home from Windham Moble Homes in Grenada, Mississippi.

My motto has always been If you don't have time to do it right, then you sure don't have time to do it over.

Lizzie Woolley said...

Once I made a mistake of getting paint on a wall in a hanger. It took more than a day and a half to fix it because we had to paint a five inch stripe to fix it. I learned to never get paint on a wall. If I have problems, I have to talk to my superviser about it and see what I'm doing wrong.