Monday, January 02, 2006

Here's Looking At You, Kid

This one is from Brenda Hoddinott's Website Drawspace. It is also found in the Drawing for Dummies book. However, I didn't know that until I'd downloaded it from the site. There's a bit of a hoopla going on over there on the forums. Seems some people are having difficulty with the fact that I want some professional art instruction. Well, that's not what is causing the hoopla. It is that Art Instruction Schools is one of the options I'm looking in to. One guy said the school was nothing but a scam, yet when I presented him with information indicating that the school is legit, including being a member of the Better Business Bureau, accredited by they Distance Learning Training Council, and reviewed by the American Council for Education, he asked why I was being hostile. Someone else seems to feel that I ought to be getting all the instruction I need from reading books. And the third person says I can get all the art instruction I want online for free, however, she has yet to produce a single link to all this free professional art instruction. I'm like, come on people. What is so wrong with me wanting to take real art lessons?

On New Year's Eve, Cody and I went to Beverly's, my cousin who just happens to live next door. We didn't stay long, because her husband had to be at work early the next morning. Before walking home, though, I wanted to fix myself another glass of punch. I sent Cody on home, and said I'd follow as soon as I done with my punch. I guess he'd decided I'd gotten lost, plus the porch light is burned out and I'm too lazy to replace it. So he grabbed a flashlight and headed out to look for me. We both reached the front door at the same time. He opened it, not expecting me to be there, and it scared the phooey out of him. He hollered, and I've been laughing about it ever since.

4 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I don't see why you shouldn't have professional instruction if you want it. Self-learning can be great, but a good instructor is worth their weight in gold. Just picture trying to learn karate off of videos and books. (There's a kid's thing right now that makes that claim, and it makes me cringe.) A teacher, of whatever sort, serves to observe things you are not yet knowledgeable/experienced enough to see for yourself. Or to paraphrase my last piano teacher - "My job is to teach your ear. If you can hear the differences, your fingers will take care of themselves."

An art teacher can help train your eye, and if that's what you feel you need, then more power to you.

Becky G said...

Thank you Cindy for affirming me. I agree with you 100%. There is only so much one can learn by reading books, and having a living, interacting teacher is invaluable.

I think I know that kid's karate thing you mentioned. I saw them in Wal-mart. Not worth the price of the cardboard they boxed them in.

The Daily Rant said...

Becky...

This sketch of the eye is just fantastic! The shading and the proportion is right on. You really have a natural talent and I agree with the commenter above....you should seek some sort of professional instruction. Great sketch!!

Becky G said...

Thank you. I do very much want to get some instruction. Hopefully, I can win one of the full scholarships to that school.