Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Rather Crooked Barn

Drawn from my imagination.

I'll tell you one thing, if Dana doesn't stop being so mean to that poor crippled man at work, I'm just going to have to smack her around some. (I know, I know, it's not PC to say crippled, but then I'm not very PC myself.) Ok, the back story. Last week, a man started working at the plant. I could tell just by looking at him that he'd had some sort of brain trauma. He is very weak on his left side. he has a pronounced limp, and weakness and poor coordination in his left arm and hand. His speech is also slurred. My first thought was that he'd had a stroke, or maybe he was in an accident. I found out later that he'd been in a bad car wreck and wasn't expected to survive. While he was recovering from that, he also had a stroke.

The first day he was there, Dana came over and was calling him a wierdo and was making fun of how he talked. I told her he'd had some sort of brain trauma, but it didn't make much difference to her. Ever since then, she has been so impatient with him, rolling her eyes, huffing, sighing, shaking her head and stuff like that. If he is doing something and she thinks he's not moving fast enough, she'll shove him out of the way and say, "Let me do it" in a very curt tone. Today, she told him to take a dented unit back to the repair station. He picked the unit up, and as he was turning around, got tangled in the cable to Dana's screw gun. She snatched the unit out of his hands and said, "I'll do it" in a really snappish tone of voice. I saw his face, when she did that. He looked like he'd been slapped. He's doing the best he can, and needs to be validated, not treated like a child. But, you know, Dana treats everyone like that, not just him.

Tomorrow, I'll tell Salena and she can tell Jessica (Dana's supervisor). Saturday, I worked over with Jackie, and it was so nice. It was so relaxed over there without Dana and her huffy attitude. She keeps bragging that they are going to hire her on. I wish they would hurry up and do it so they can move her to second shift. I've just about had my fill of her.

I have been on the phone ever since I got home from work today getting the run-around about this bus thing. I'd called Dr White, Cody's principal, several times, but she was never available, and wouldn't return my calls. So this afternoon, I called Dr Pender, the school superintendent. I explained the situation to him, and he didn't want to fool with me. He said, "I don't have anything to do with that. I'll have Dr White call you." And this, AFTER I'd told him I'd been trying to get in touch with her for a week and a half. He is retiring in 6 months, but he's pretty much already checked out. She finally called me, and it only took her an hour and a half. I explained the situation to her, and she said, "I'm more than willing to work with you, but I have to do what the bus people recommend." Then she gave me the number of the guy over the busses. I called him and he said, "It's not up to me to say whether a child is suspended or unspended. That's up to the principal. If she wants to unsuspend him, she doesn't need MY permission." By this point, I was ready to crawl through the phone and choke somebody. However, he did say he'd call her in the morning and talk to her. And I feel like I'm playing hot potato.

3 comments:

Buck said...

Re: the bus thing. It is SO maddening when people give you the run-around. Especially people who are (ahem) public servants! Funny how they never seem to remember exactly WHO pays their salaries. Makes one want to run for the school board, doesn't it? ;-)

Becky G said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm STILL getting the run around, since I'm now back to the point where Dr White is not returning my phone calls...right back where I started.

Perpetual Beginner said...

It's the favorite tactic of beauracracies, unfortunately. Run you around in circles until you just give up. The VA where my Dad works is famous for it. So much so that patients are frequently shocked when he and his staff turn out to be helpful.

Is there any way you can go sit in her office until she shows?