Thursday, January 12, 2006

You Know You've Been

in the martial arts too long when you admire your bruised and swollen knuckles like other women admire diamond rings.

Sensei has some plastic re-breakable boards at the dojo. They are supposed to correspond to certain size boards, but sensei says they are harder to break than real boards. We've spent the last couple of classes trying to break them. I had the yellow one, which is the easiest one to break, and was trying to do a one handed drop break. That is, I hold the board in my right hand, drop it, and break it with my right hand. I succeeded in doing it a few times, then James wanted me to break some of the harder boards with him holding one corner. I broke the yellow one, no problem. I broke the orange one, no problem. When I punched the green one, James let go and it flew across the room! I tried to hold it myself and break it, but didn't. It is harder to break them holding one corner than if someone was holding both sides. I only got one chance to try, because then it was time to start class. When we were doing basics, I noticed that my knuckles were rather bruised and a bit swollen. As I was looking at them, it occured to me that the way I was holding my hand and admiring my knuckles is the same way women admire a ring they are wearing. I know I've been in karate too long now!

Well, I'll let my knuckles heal a bit and try some more next week.

Good news! My new sketch pads got here today! And I still had ONE page left in my old one.

4 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

Wow - I'm only just starting to break anything. So far single 9" boards, braced or held firmly. Well, OK, I did 2 boards with Tetsui once in a competition. No way I'll be up to breaking an unbraced board for quite some while.

I understand about admiring bruises though. It proves you did something!

I bruise easily though, so it doesn't necessarily mean that much. Thank goodness for Everything Balm.

Becky G said...

This is the first time I've ever broken anything. I've been admiring my knuckles all day, and showing them off at work. "Look what I got!" I don't bruise easily, so these really do mean something.

Perpetual Beginner said...

If the bruise does bother you after a while, I would highly recommend Everything Balm from http://www.goodiesunlimited.com/ as a bruise rub. At least for my bruises it seems to speed healing time considerably, so I always keep a small jar of it in my bag. No affiliation, I know Audrey from my on-line spinning group and became an addict after several other people recommended it to me.

Becky G said...

They are gone now, but I may get this some Everything Balm anyway, just to have on hand. Thanks.