Wednesday, January 11, 2006

This and That



I just loved this little toadstool when I saw it. It looked like it should have a family of gnomes living under it. Imagine the cap of it being red with white spots--that's what it looked like. One day I want to get some colored pencils--good ones, not the cheap things they sell at Wal-mart.

Do you know what I find to be extremely funny? How I can't seem to get through to Dr White (Cody's principal) when I need to talk to her, but the school has NO problem tracking me down when he is in trouble. I went in again Monday to try to have a conference with her, and she'd left early. I left a message with her secretary asking her to call me, and I left my home, cell, and work numbers. I specifically told the secretary that I work until three and Dr White needed to call me after then.

She called at 7:30 in the morning--my HOME number.

I called again today. She was in meetings until 3:15, so I left ANOTHER message asking her to call me. It is now almost 5:00 and still no call.

I'm trying to do things right, but at this rate, I'm going to go straight to the superintendent and not worry about the chain of command. Rebellious thing for a veteran to do, I know.

Cindy has decided to join me in the battle of the bulge. It really helps to have someone go through it with you. And to help things along, here are some dieting tips I've found to be helpful:

1. Eat only when your stomach is audibly growling.

2. Eat foods that taste good. You will not be satisfied eating tofu and bean sprouts all the time, and are more likely to binge if you do not satisfied your taste buds as well as your hunger.

3. When you get something to eat, get half of what you think you will want. If it isn't enough, you can always get more, but you are more likely to overeat if it is already on your plate.

4. Once the food is on your plate, divide it in half again. Eat half, then wait from 2-5 minutes before eating more. If you decide you feel full, cover the plate with plastic wrap and eat the rest the next time your stomach growls.

5. Eat tiny bites, and eat very slowly. A lot of times, you will get tired of eating before the food is gone, and so you are more likely to eat less.

6. If your stomach is growling, eat. Don't skip meals. This will keep your metabolism up and burning fat.

7. If you get food cravings, but your stomach is not growling, tell yourself that the food will still be there when your stomach is growling. If your family is like mine, your food may not be there when your stomach is growling, so it may be necessary to put your name on your food, and give strict hands off orders.

Easier said than done, I know. But it CAN be done. There is this one guy at work, I don't see him that often because he works in a different part of the plant. Since August, he has lost SOOO much weight and has let his hair grow back--he had been shaving his head. I tell you what, he is looking good...

1 comment:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I like the ideas on keeping meals under control. I tend to eat quickly (two older brothers will do that to you), and therefore frequently overeat at meals.

I would add - drink water, rather than drinks with calories, or even diet soda (which I can't stand anyway, so that's easy). If you absolutely can't stand one more glass of water (frequent with me), then fill a glass with seltzer, and add about a shots worth of a strong flavored juice. Dole's Pine/Orange/Banana works well, as does Pomeganate or Pom/Cherry juice.

Eating within an hour of getting up, even if it's just a tiny snack, also seems to help boost the metabolism a bit.