Thursday, December 22, 2005

Pictures of Family

The same lamp from yesterday, drawn from a memory and a different angle. I actually think this one looks better than the one I drew from the photograph. As you know, yesterday was the shortest day of the year--or the day with the least amount of sun. Maybe that's why I've been drawing so many light producing things lately.

Here also are some family pictures. The first one is my older brother Russell, his wife Yoke Wan, and my adorable nephew Joshua Nathaniel. I wonder a bit about this photographer, though. Why in the world didn't he make Rus sit up straight????

The next picture is of my sister's two boys, Nathan and Andrew. She didn't write the date on the picture, but Nate is 5 and Andrew 6 months.

My other brother doesn't have any children yet. I can't even post a picture of him because I haven't gotten a new one in about 5 years.

When I was growing up, there were two little boys who lived down the street from me that I always felt so sorry for. They had the most boring Christmas tree I'd ever seen. They always got a real tree and flocked the thing solid white. Then they had red lights and red balls on it. So the whole tree was just red and white. To add insult to injury, their outside lights were also --you guessed it--red. Back in those days, outside lights were a single string along the eve of the house. If someone had lights going down their porch columns, we all said, "oooooo". Nowdays, of course, people have lights literally everywhere. But then, lights have gotten a lot safer than they were back then.

Speaking of solid color lights, all the rage, at least down here where I live, is solid white lights. I think they are boring. Give me multicolored lights anyday.

Finally, tomorrow is my last day of work until after New Year's. I have a whole week off, and I've set myself a few goals for that week.

1. Finish art test for Art Instruction Schools. That doesn't mean I'm committing to them, but the local community college doesn't offer any art courses.

2. Finish this Wings on Water project from Drawing for Dummies by Brenda Hoddinott. It is about half way done.


3. Find myself a new knitting project. For a while, I had so many WIPs going that I didn't allow myself to start anything new. Now, however, I've just about finished my list and need to find something to work on.

4. Try not to gain too much weight!

1 comment:

The Daily Rant said...

Joshua, Nathan and Andrew are just gorgeous!! What a wonderful looking family you have.

And your duck drawing is fantastic! I think this is your best one yet.

Have a great Christmas with your family and a fantastic, prosperous, creative New Year!