Saturday, December 10, 2005

Monty Python

Say hello to Monty the ball python. This is part of Cody's Christmas and birthday presents. I was going to get him one for his birthday, but when we went up to the pet store in October, they didn't have any. Well, today we were busy doing our Christmas shopping, and we decided to go up to Horn Lake to the Target there. On the way, we stopped at the pet store in Olive Branch. Big mistake, because we never made it to Target. We did get all our shopping done, except for Aunt Denise L. Still have to get her something, then we'll be done, except for mailing it all.

Back to the pet store...I had not intended to get another snake today, but they had several balls there. Cody's been wanting one for a long time--about three years he's been begging for one. So I broke down and bought him the snake and setup. Cody named him Monty, but he doesn't have a clue as to who Monty Python is. He actually named him after Uncle Monty Montgomery, the herpetologist in the A Series of Unfortunate Events books. He looked healthy enough and no sign of mites. He did have a bit of retained shed, but I soaked him for about an hour, and rubbed him with a wet towel, and I think I got most of it off. I checked his eyes and tail, and they both looked ok.

They had some baby corns there, too. Two snow corns and an anerytheristic. I'd forgotten how tiny they are as hatchlings. They were so cute, and I was so tempted, but no--I'm holding out for a bloodred. They had a baby king snake in there too. It looked like an Eastern King. There was a man in the store that must have thought I was crazy because I was calling the snake "sweetie."

I just went to check on Monty, and he's happily curled up in his warm hide under his Habba Hut. He's going to be alright, I think.

2 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

Very cool. I've always been rather fond of snakes, but have never owned one, and probably never will, as the rest of my family thinks I'm starkers. Never mind though, I still like them. About what age is a ball python to be that size?

Becky G said...

Thanks. I've always been fascinated by snakes as well. I'm not sure how old that ball python is. It our first foray into the world of boids. I'm going to guess about 6 or 7 months, though. They top out at around 4 feet, though occasionally one can get as long as 6 feet.