Friday, December 30, 2005

Almost Over

This year is almost over, and I didn't get a single calendar for Christmas. That is odd. I usually get at least one. Last year, I got five. I suppose I'll have to go out and buy one tomorrow.

I rented Polar Express for Cody. Boy am I glad I rented it before I bought it. It was awful. Even Cody said, "That wasn't very much like the book." The few parts that were like the book were very good, but all that extra junk they put in there ruined it for me. The roller coaster rides, the ghost, the engineer clowns, the bit with the cotter pin and the ice cracking, the extra characters...wasn't any need for all that in there. The story was good enough to stand on its own. We'll just stick with reading the book, thank you very much.

I also rented The Island, with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson. It was good, but I don't like that futuristic style of filming where everything is either blue and gray, or brown and orange. Nor do I like the style of filming in which the camera constantly jiggles, giving the entire movie a dreamlike quality. This movie had both. However, the story line was really good: clones grown for the purpose of having their organs harvested discover the truth about who they really are, and escape to the outside world. It's worth a look-see.

No comments: