Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Few More Zoo Pictures

First off, a couple more snakes, like this Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake:I think it is funny that they are trying to provide naturalistic enclosures for these snake, so they have this one on a floor made up to look like a road. On the back wall is painted an old timey truck.

Meet Rita, the Reticulated Python. It's hard to tell how big Rita is from this picture because there is nothing there to use for perspective, but she is 21 feet long, and very grumpy. She got mad one time and cracked the glass of her enclosure. The guy said it was because they didn't het her food hot enough. She eats a 35-40 pound pig every few weeks. I had a cousin, Mark, who had a couple of baby retics many, many years ago when we were both teenagers. Every time we went over there, I wanted to play with the snakes. He eventually sold them when they got too expensive to feed.

I can't remember what species this little beauty of a frog is, but I think it is in the poison dart frog family.Apparently one lady had never seen a gar before, and described it as "a fish-thing with a beak".
She said it didn't even look real because it was so strange looking.

I believe the tiger was as cold as we were, because he kept trying to get inside. They had him shut out of his little house, though.

He's hard to get good pictures of, but I finally got some decent ones.
Same with the ostrich. I finally got a good pic of this female ostrich.
The zoo doesn't have any males. I wonder about that.
This cute little creature looks like a cross between a raccoon and a red fox. It is acutally a red panda, cousin to the giant panda and closely related to racoons.

I didn't get any good pictures of the giant pandas this time. They were both sacked out snoozing away. Here is an old pic from a previous trip, though...
This is Ya-Ya, the little female.
There was only this juvenile giraffe outside. The rest were in their houses staying warm.

I tweaked a little on Bambi, and he looks better, but I still don't know what to do with that awful house. I thought about drawing a couple of dragons in the front yard, if only I could find a picture to work from. I think I won't worry about it and go watch some TV.

No comments: