Monday, December 05, 2005

Gas Lamps and Hot Chocolate

Back when I was growing up, all the houses had a gas lamp similar to this one in the front yard. The real ones were not quite so lopsided, though. I always thought they gave a warm and welcoming feel to the neighborhoods. By the mid to late 70's though, they were all gone. I definitely remember what happened to ours...Tommy Burns and I were holding on to the pole and running around it when it all of the sudden fell over! I expected to get killed over that one, but Dad showed me where it was all rusted through at ground level. "It was bound to fall over sooner or later," he said. "I'm just glad you didn't hurt yourself." I was about 8 or 9 when that happened, and I never stopped missing that gas lamp.

I told you it would get cold again. It was 36' this morning when I left for work, and is supposed to get into the 20s tonight. Makes this mug of hot chocolate look better and better. I actually drew this sketch yesterday but didn't upload it until today.

Yes, I had to go back to work today, and I did not want to. I'd been off for 11 days vacation, and was getting rather used to it. Anyway, they chose today of all days to run humongous units all day long. I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow, so now I'm going to go soak in a hot bath.

No comments: