Saturday, March 23, 2024

Why?


Why is it that I can be walking around all day just dragging, barely able to keep my eyes open, but the minute I get into bed, I'm wide awake?  Yeah, some of you know what I'm talking about, don't you?

All that to say, last night was one of those nights.  I tossed and turned, and when I finally fell asleep, I had weird dreams.  I don't really remember them, except that a British actor named Matthew Baynton was there.  He's been in many things, but I know him best from Horrible Histories and Ghosts.  As I said, I don't really remember the dream, just that I'd told him, "I want to go home," and he replied, "You will..."  

Anyway, during one of those tossing and turning moments, I picked up my phone and opened Facebook, only to find that one of my friends had posted a photo of her car on the side of the road with the hood up.  She and her family had been on vacation and were on the way home.  Looking at the photo for a moment, I thought, "Hmmm, that stretch of highway looks familiar."  

I asked her -- trying to be nosy without looking like I was trying to be nosy -- if they'd gotten caught up in all that mess going on with the hazardous material spill I posted about yesterday.  She said, yes, they had, and the car had started acting up right before the exit where they were directing everyone off the highway.   She said they'd found a dealership right away, and I knew exactly which one she was talking about.  Kirk Brothers Chevrolet, on South Street, right by the post office for you local folks.  They managed to get there right before the service department closed, and long story slightly less long, they made it home safely.  

Still, I was stoked that they had been here, and almost told her she should have called me so we could visit a bit, but I thought better of that.  They'd been on the road for a while and had a while yet to go, and I know they just wanted to get home.  But after all that, I was so pumped I really couldn't get to sleep.  

So I got onto Amazon and ordered an eclipse T-shirt and solar filter for my phone camera.  Last time, I didn't take any photos of the eclipse itself.  This time, I want to be sure to get some photos, since I have no idea when the next time I'll be able to see a total eclipse will be. 

Speaking of Amazon, several years ago I bought a new sweat jacket to wear to work.  At Walmart, not Amazon.  Over the years, I've managed to burn several holes in it, 


so a few weeks ago, I began to think about buying a new one.   I looked at Walmart, but they didn't have any, so I ordered one from Amazon.  After receiving a couple of e-mails telling me shipping would be delayed -- the last one said it would ship a month after I ordered it -- I just cancelled the order.  

A couple of days ago, I got a message from  my Honey app saying the same jacket from a different seller had dropped in price.  I ordered it right away, and guess what?  It got here in two days. 


Like I said, it's the little things...

Speaking of little things, my little seedlings are still looking pretty good, 


except for this one.   It keeps flopping over, 


so I assumed it had outgrown the little tray.  I wasn't sure if it was ready to be moved, but I was afraid it would die if I didn't do something, so I took a chance and planted it into a temporary pot, 


and put it on the front porch with the sunflowers I haven't yet planted in the ground. 


It should be OK there, because it's been hardening off in the back yard for several days.  

And finally, there is a strange dog running around the neighborhood.  I've never seen it before, and I don't know where it came from.  It's too healthy looking to be a stray, and doesn't seem to be aggressive, though it looks scared and confused.  I'm wondering if someone dumped it out here.  Nonetheless, it has come into the yard twice, now.  I don't want it be able to get to the cat, so I got out and closed the gates in the fence.    

It's a bit of an inconvenience, but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

No comments: