Saturday, March 02, 2024

Sunny Saturday

I had thought I'd get up and go fishing today, or maybe go walk the trails out at the lake, or even go up to the Mounds at Batesville.  In the end, I didn't do any of that.  

What I did do is repot my Whatever Cacti.  It all started with this one.  I discovered a few weeks ago that the pot I'd put it in the last time I re-potted it had absolutely no drainage whatsoever.  As it happens, I'd been slowly drowning the cactus that was in it.  So to speak.

But even after I'd skipped watering it for a couple of weeks, the soil was way too damp and would have eventually led to root rot.  So, first thing this morning -- after it warmed up a bit, that is -- I took it out and put it into a new pot, with drainage holes. 


It is now fat, dumb, and happy -- as one of my old Navy instructors used to say.  

I had not planned on re-potting this one today, because I didn't think I had a pot big enough to put it into. 


However, when I went into the shed to get a pot for the first transplanting, I found I actually had two.  So the cactus got separated and repotted. 


If you'll recall, I'd discovered last Fall that I'd somehow gotten three colors of cacti put into the same pot, so I separated them as best I could based on leaf shape.  The red one is on the right, and the pink on the left.  I hope now that it has space, the pink one will bush out a bit.  I've heard that if I prune it back, it'll become bushier, so I'm going to try that here in a few weeks, once it's recovered from transplant shock. 

The only cactus that didn't get traumatized today is this one. 


This is one of James' cacti that I'd babysat a few weeks while they were moving back to Texas back in 2015.  I'd inadvertently broken a piece off, so I rooted it. Since then, the poor thing has been through heck.  It got completely dug up by a critter just a few years later, then it died back almost completely about two years ago.  I think maybe I was drowning it, too.  

As I said before, when I'd re-potted everything last summer, I'd somehow gotten this mixed up into the green pot with the red and pink cacti.  Since this cream color was just one sprig, I carefully dug it up shortly after it had bloomed and put it into this little pot, where it struggled a bit, but now seems to be recovering nicely.  

Here's a bit of exciting news.  It looks like my sweet mint is starting to come back. 


I haven't seen any signs of life from anything else, except the lemon thyme.  

Lest you think that's all I did, I finished a hat,


and will soon be casting on another.  

But first, I need a shower.  

Laters. 

No comments: