Tuesday, March 05, 2024

A Day Off

Whelp, the car is fixed.  No more oil -- or whatever it was -- dripping onto my carport floor.  Once the weather clears up a bit, I'll get the pressure washer out and try to clean up the stains.  I'll need to do my back porch soon anyway.  I'll knock them both out at the same time. 

What I think is really cool is that the Ford place offers valet service now.  They came early this morning and picked up the car, drove it to the service center, and when it was fixed, they brought it back and I never even had to get dressed -- or interact with people, which is a definite plus.  Even better, I didn't have to sit up in the waiting room at the dealership the whole time.  

Unfortunately, the repair bill coupled with how slow work has been these last two years means I won't be able to go up to Missouri to see the eclipse -- unless I want to make it a day trip, and that's just a little bit too far for that.  Still, I have my eclipse glasses and we're going to be at 90% coverage and I have that day off.  I'll be watching it here.  It won't be the same as totality, but it'll still be good. 

I'd thought if they got done with my car in time, I might run up to Batesville and walk the trails out at the Mounds, or at least go to the lake or Lee Tartt, and they did.  Get my car done in time, I mean.  The car was fixed and returned to my house by 10:45.  Alas, it has been drizzly and rainy all day long, so I didn't go anywhere.  I just stayed home and watched TV.  

That wasn't allll I did, though.  I finished a letter to my Australian pen pal-- the only one who still writes to me.  I had so many pen pals for a while, but one by one, they've all quit writing except for this one.  I tried about a year or so ago to get back onto that Global Penfriends website and find some more pen pals, but they totally changed everything up.  You can't go in and browse people's profiles any more.  You have to tell them what you're looking for, and they send you potential matches.  Full disclosure, I haven't been back in over a year, so I don't know if they've changed again since then.  

I also knit this far on a hat with the yarn I'd bought last week.  


I like the way this color is knitting up.  I might get some more of it the next time I go into town. 

The other thing I did was to get three more of my sunflower seedlings transplanted.  


This one here, I had to put two seedlings into the same pot, because their roots were so tangled up I was afraid I'd kill them if I tried to separate them. 


I think I'll be good for a few days, though I do have some more that will need to be moved soon.  

I still only have two cosmos that have germinated, and only two bluebonnets.  I think I may have messed up and planted the seeds too deep.  I'm hoping they'll still germinate anyway.  I'll give them a couple more weeks, and if I don't see any signs of life, I'll get another couple of packets of seeds and try again.  I'm thinking now that I have my cloches, I might try to plant some directly into the ground and cover them with the cloche to keep the birds from getting the seeds.  And if there's a chance of a late frost, I can cover the whole thing with a layer of plastic.  

Or I could just wait a month until the danger of frost has passed.  But I probably won't.  

And finally, what I'd thought was an allergy attack has turned out to be a case of conjunctivitis.  I didn't go to the doctor, though, because most of the time it clears up on its own in a few days.  Mine is already looking better, and my eyeball isn't as sore as it was yesterday.  

I'll just keep an eye on it for now.  

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I'll see myself out....

No comments: