Saturday, May 25, 2019

Memorial Day Weekend

I know I said it yesterday, but it bears repeating.  Nothing destroys employee morale and company cohesiveness like a petty, spiteful, vindictive boss.  I won't go into any details, but Boss Hoss has lost the employees of this company. 

One of these days, I'm going to tell you the story of a good Boss Hoss.  He really stood up for me one time, and after that, I'd have run through brick walls if he'd asked me too.  Not now, though, because it's kind of long, and I'm late posting anyway. 

When I'd finally made it home from work, first thing I did was to set up my missing man plate. 


Now that it's in place, my Memorial Day weekend has begun.  And yes, I am aware my silverware is mismatched.  I need to get new silverware.  I just haven't done it yet. 

Now, let me tell you about something good.  I'd received a letter from my friend Cyndye, and in it, she sent me these: 


I can hear you from here.  "What the heck is that?" you are saying.  Well, I'll tell you.  They're bluebonnet seeds!  She's got some bluebonnets in her yard, and noticed some seeds laying on the stepping stones near her fish pond.  I'd mentioned in my last letter to her I'd found some at Wal-mart in the past, but they didn't have any this year.  My thoughtful friend scooped some up and sent them to me!  Thank you!!!

According to all the gardening sites, you're supposed to plant bluebonnets in the fall.  However, when I spread these out on a paper towel to dry, because I thought they looked a little damp in that baggie -- some of them had germinated already.  I found an empty pot in the shed and poked those seeds down into the soil.  We'll see how they do.  If they grow, I might transplant them later this year. 

I have an old fire pit behind the fence that I'm thinking about cleaning up and making it my bluebonnet bed.  It'll take a bit of doing, because the previous owners were burning garbage and stuff in it, but I think I can dig all that out and fill it in with top soil.  The hardest part will be dealing with the fire ants.  And the crawdads. 

And the dadgum chipmunks.  I was in Lowe's a couple of weeks ago, in the pest control section.  One of the employees asked if she could help me.  I told her I needed something to kill a chipmunk.  She said, "Kill a chipmunk?  We have things to trap them, but nothing that will kill them." 

I said, "I suppose I could trap it, then kill it later."  She just looked horrified, then walked off. 

Destructive little buggers, those chipmunks. 





No comments: