Sunday, July 13, 2014

Modesty

Before we begin, Scarf #3 is off the loom.  I just have to trim the fringe and weave the ends in and it'll be done. 


I'm still trying to decide what to warp next.  I've still got plenty of yarn to choose from.  Now, on to the topic of the day...

Modesty. 

I know the in thing these days is for women to wear as little as possible.  Even in church, I see women coming in wearing spaghetti straps, no bra, dresses that look more like slips, and no slips at all.  Someone came in this morning in a dress so shear you could clearly see her legs and underwear.  That is the "might as well be naked" look of which I speak. 

I know it's the style and all, but I've always felt called to be more modest than that.  Our Christian brothers struggle enough in our sex saturated society, and I believe that it's my duty as a Christian woman to help them out as much as I can. 

I know, I know.  There are some women out there who will get all bowed up and say, "I can dress however I want.  It's up to them not to look." 

The only problem with that attitude is that they're men.  They can't help but to look.  It's hard wired into them to look. So, if you walk into church with half your chest hanging out, or a skirt so short your cheeks are showing, they're going to look. Personally, I don't feel as if that attitude --the "I can dress like a slut but you'd better treat me like a princess" attitude-- honors God or my Christian brothers. 

A couple of years ago, I made myself a sundress, but I never really felt comfortable wearing it to church.  I had a shawlette that I wore over it, but I didn't like the look.  I'd looked all over for a knitted bolero pattern, but in the end, I broke down and bought one at Wal-Mart Thursday when I was in town. 


It's just what I was looking for.  I wore it to church this morning, over my sundress, and now that I have it, I can actually shop for a new dress.   I found a few dresses online that I like, but didn't buy them because they were sundresses.   

And because even a middle aged tomboy needs to feel sexy now and again...


No, it's not hypocritical.  Not a bit, because no one will ever see me in them except my imaginary husband.  They'll be quite well covered up.

My final purchase of the day:



Jesse wasn't impressed.


No comments: