Thursday, July 10, 2014

Mayhem and Miscellany

I survived another Thor's Day of mayhem at work.  Yeah, the no more overtime rule didn't last very long.  I'm back to going in early tomorrow.  Well, for one day, at least.  We'll have to see after that. 

After work, I had to run into town to get milk.  I figured, since I was there, I might as well get my shopping done.  One thing I always like to check while I'm there is the clearance aisle.  That's where I saw this set of Pez Dispensers.  My first thought was, "Oooooh, the Third Doctor! It's a set of Doctor Who Pez Dispensers!"


Alas, upon closer inspection, it isn't Doctor Who, but U.S. Presidents, and the person in question is Andrew Jackson, not the Third Doctor.  I was a bit bummed by that. Then felt unpatriotic.  But not for long.  I just recited a bit of The Declaration of Independence to myself, and felt better.  I also had spent a good hour at work singing the fourth verse of The Star Spangled Banner.  Out loud.  So, no question of my patriotism there. 

Yeah, I'm a bit tired.  I'm so tired, you don't even want to know how I spelled dispensers.  Let's just say, thank goodness for spell check.  OK, onward...

I'm walking around the store, getting what I need, when...Oh my!  Will you look at that!  How on earth did that get into my buggy? 


I'm pleading the 5th.  But, look!  It's got flowers on the pages.  FLOWERS!!  On the PAGES!!!


Still pleading the 5th. 

I got home and found that my new Cup Of Joe t-shirt had arrived.


For those of you who don't know, Green Beans Coffee has a program where you can buy coffee for military personnel serving overseas.  I've done it for years now.  Anyway, every so often, they have special offers.  If you buy so much coffee, you get a prize.  I've gotten t-shirts, challenge coins, and dog tags. 

The best prize, though, is when I get thank you notes from the soldiers themselves.  Most of them just say a simple thank you, but sometimes, one will tell you how much it means to them to know that they aren't forgotten. 

A little taste of home.  That's what one soldier told me.  I'd sent him a little taste of home. 

That's the prize that makes it all worth it. 

No comments: