Sunday, March 06, 2011

Afghan Tales

For those of you who don't know, Sus is my long lost twin sister. OK, not really, but sometimes we're so much alike it's scary.  Anyway, she's given her blog a bit of a re-design, which is something I'd like to do, too.   I need to spend more time nurturing my blog as it is.  Facebook and Netflix have sort of taken over my life.

Anyway, in today's post, Sus tells a story of starting an afghan, only to have the yarn discontinued. I won't relate the whole thing, but I'm sure she'd be thrilled to have you drop in to her blog for a visit. I bring this up because I did something similar way back in the early days of my knitting venture.

I was going to knit an afghan that I found in an old Creative Knitting magazine, back when they were Knitter's Digest.  The pattern can also be found on this page.  Scroll down a bit until you see Christmas Stars.

The pattern calls for you to knit long strips of the patterned blocks, separated by red stripes, then long, thin strips of solid red.  Then you sew them all together.  Well, I got two strips knit-- one of each -- and got about 1/3 of the way through sewing them together when  I said to myself, "Self, this is the pits.  I'm going to figure out how to knit this all in one piece."  Shouldn't be too hard.

I started frogging.  Then I thought, "This sucks."  So I put the afghan back in a Wal-mart sack, and there it has languished in the bottom of my closet for some 10 years now.  Every now and again, I go pull it out.  I look at it for a moment, think that I really should either knit the darn thing up or recycle the yarn, and I put it back into the bag, and stuff it back into the bottom of the closet.

And the wind comes up and the Dead Sea goes on being dead.

Extra credit for anyone who can tell me where that quote came from.

On a more pleasant note, I've been working on the Family Blankie


I know this isn't the greatest photo, but I really didn't want to vacuum my carpet, so you're stuck with it.

Oh and by the way, those Pledge Pet Hair Fabric Sweeper thingys are da bomb!   When I actually use them, that is, which I didn't today, so you don't get a close up of the blankie because Rylea's hair is still all over my couch.  Which needs reupholstering anyway.  Which isn't going to happen any time soon.  So that's that.

Moving right along...

On the other hand, I'm a bit frustrated.  I added a data plan to my cell phone service.  It was supposed to be effective starting today, but I still can't connect.  I've searched all over the support section of their website, and nothing has helped.  You know what that means.

I'm going to have to *shudder* call them.  Yeah, my phone issues run deep.  Real deep.

Then again, if I wait until tomorrow, they will have someone available for a live online chat.  Yeah, maybe that's what I'll do.

Just one more thing before I go:

Crab Salad

Crab meat, or Alaska Whitefish
Pasta, cooked -- I used small shells
Boiled eggs, chopped up --3 or 4 of them
Pickle relish
Grated cheese --flavor of your choice.
Mayonnaise

Dump it all in a bowl and mix it up.  I can't tell you the measurements, because I never measured.  I just added it in until it looked right.  This is something I really, really, really miss since becoming allergic to eggs.  Just the thought of it makes me sad. 

Darned immune system!

2 comments:

Sus said...

Oh, we do have sort of matching afghan stories!! Is there a way that you could just frog the thin red strip and then knit the strips, joining as you go, something like this: http://simpleknits.blogspot.com/2010/02/join-as-you-go-tutorial.html ? Just a thought.

See? I've pulled mine out of the dark recesses and am now apparently not going to be happy until you do, too!! Hehe.

That crab salad recipe looks yummy! Ironically, what I'm trying to come up with is something equally yummy that is actually dairy- and egg-free!! Got anything like that? ;) (So far, I have not succeeded.)

Becky G said...

I guess now I'm going to have to go find said afghan and finish frogging it.

Hmmmm, I suppose you could leave the eggs and cheese out...