Thursday, March 10, 2011

Irony of Ironies

It all started at a quarter to two this morning.  I woke up needing to go to the bathroom.  OK, that's normal enough.

But then, upon returning to bed, I flew into a near blind panic because my cell phone wasn't on my nightstand where I thought I'd put it the night before.  There was no, "I'll find it in the morning".  Not at all.  I had to find it, and right then.



I checked all the usual places.  I looked on the charger.  Not there.

I looked by my recliner.  Not there.

I checked the computer desk.  Not there.

I even checked the bathroom cabinet, though why it would be there escapes me.  Not there.

On top of the microwave.  On my dresser.  On the snake tanks.  The phone was nowhere to be found.

So I got the bright idea of calling myself from my house phone.  Only the cell phone didn't ring.  Why didn't the cell phone ring?  What was going on?  I briefly heard the buzzing sound from the vibration, but the line disconnected before I could locate the phone.

Four times I called myself before I was finally able to track down my phone.  You'll never guess where it was.  Well, OK, if you know me at all, you wouldn't be surprised.

It was wrapped up in the pile of clean laundry that I'd thrown on the floor so that I could get into bed, because I didn't want to fold it.  The laundry, not the bed.

Cell phone safely retrieved, and on the nightstand, I headed off to dreamland again.  Yet, something still nagged at me.  Why hadn't the phone rang?  I got back up.

I checked the settings.  It was set to Ring And Vibrate.  I checked the sounds.  Yes, I had a ringtone selected.  Why hadn't the phone rang?  My sleep deprived brain was unable to make sense of this riddle, and I finally drifted off again with the mystery unsolved.

It was only after a so-so night's sleep that I thought to check the ring tone volume.  Yep, that was it.  It had somehow gotten set to vibrate only.  Volume adjusted, mystery solved, and all was right with the world again. 

By the way, have I ever mentioned that my phone issues run deep?

Yeah...

.

2 comments:

Sus said...

Wow. I am impressed that you were able to go back to sleep after you found it. I would have been so wired on adrenaline by then from the searching that I would have lain awake until (with my luck) about 20 minutes before my alarm went off.

Of course, I think about my phone so little that my ringer can be turned off for days and I don't notice... Does phone negligence count as a phone issue?

Becky G said...

I suppose it could. I'm almost fanatical about my cell phone, though I don't know why. No one ever calls me, and even if someone does, half the time I don't answer.

Gee, maybe if I answered the phone more, people might actually call me more!